PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else not terribly excited for 8.10?

alecwh
October 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Looking over the features listed on the ubuntu.com RC download page, I decided that this is the least exciting release ever - for me. There are some things that make me say, "Oh, cool, I guess," but nothing too outstanding.

For example, Nautilus's "tab support" is going to be cool, but I mean, it's not like I often have 3 windows of Nautilus open at once! The file roller has support for more formats, but so what? The ones listed (ALZ, RZIP, CAB, TAR.7Z) don't interest me at all; I've never even heard of them (minus CAB).

The rest don't apply to me (the server addition stuff), and don't interest me.

Anybody else feeling like this? Am I missing something? What are you excited about?

ad_267
October 25th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Why does there have to be some amazing new feature? There's plenty of small improvements that will make this release better than the previous, but with a new release every six months it's pretty hard to make each release revolutionary.

dracule
October 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I hope the broadcom sta driver will work better than the b43 driver... that is the only thing i am looking forward to. maybe the guest account and encrypted folder would be cool

Lord Xeb
October 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I am looking forward to it but I need to go and check and see how if performs first

alecwh
October 25th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Why does there have to be some amazing new feature? There's plenty of small improvements that will make this release better than the previous, but with a new release every six months it's pretty hard to make each release revolutionary.

Oh, yeah, I'm upgrading for sure anyway, just because of bug fixes, repositories, etc. You make a good point.

th-busch
October 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
me and my girlfriend are running ubuntu, i upgraded to ibex beta several weeks ago, while my girlfriends notebook is still running hardy. i agree there are no revolutionary new features, but when i'm at my girlfriends nb, i miss all those tiny little improvements ibex has. - so yes, definitely worth an upgrade.

ad_267
October 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah I should have added it's just the small improvements that are often good. I like that pypanel now doesn't flicker with the updated nvidia-drivers, and I find the nautilus tabs quite useful. Gimp 2.6 is also a nice improvement.

lisati
October 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM
The lack of apparent major improvements doesn't have to be a big deal.
I'd rather have a stable functional system that needs some relatively minor tweaks to get working to my satisfaction than an unstable system that works only some of the time.
I'm looking forward to trying the release version when I finally get round to replacing the copy of Feisty (7.04) on my older laptop. Most of the tinkering I anticipate involves stuff that has already been discussed here on the forums.

elmer_42
October 25th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Well, I'm not. But that's because I no longer use Ubuntu.

bruce89
October 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Well, I'm not. But that's because I no longer use Ubuntu.

Well done.

Anyway, AFAIK not many of the programs' developers are actually paid for their work, so I think any improvements are good.

th-busch
October 26th, 2008, 12:08 AM
i think what's slightly more important than all those new features is that on the day of the release, there will be announcements on all major it-websites around - combined with a significant linux-user-count increase - bringing us all closer to that "side effect" :lolflag:

Dr Small
October 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I think I predicted this.

FuturePilot
October 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM
It's either too buggy and it sucks or it's too boring and not revolutionary enough....

hanzomon4
October 26th, 2008, 12:15 AM
It's either too buggy and it sucks or it's too boring and not revolutionary enough....

Or both.....

bruce89
October 26th, 2008, 12:18 AM
"$NEW_RELEASE is too buggy"
"Something doesn't work in new $NEW_RELEASE"
"How do I upgrade from alpha 6 to beta?"
"This theme is horrible"
"$NEW_RELEASE is too boring"
"Why did they change the theme back again?"

That's pretty much the cycle. I've seen plenty cycles I can tell you.

the8thstar
October 26th, 2008, 12:23 AM
One thing I noticed: AWN is running much better now and hibernation IS working... for these reasons alone, the upgrade was worth the hassle.

th-busch
the theme actually has some improvements, and is very very usable like it is (tough i like the looks of dust-theme, but it has too many contrast for everyday work)

grotto

That's awfully true. People have strange expectations for a product that has a release cycle of only 6 months. It is more apt to consider the progress from Ubuntu 5.10. Three years is about the average time Apple and Microsoft takes to release a new OS. From that perspective, it has been exciting to see Ubuntu grow and develop.

spoons
October 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I'd rather Ubuntu devs not put "OMG SHINY SHINY" features in and help the FOSS ATi/NVIDIA drivers and gnash/swfdec. There's always a post on page 1 of one part of the forum about Flash or 3D not working.

bruce89
October 26th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I'd rather Ubuntu devs not put "OMG SHINY SHINY" features in and help the FOSS ATi/NVIDIA drivers and gnash/swfdec. There's always a post on page 1 of one part of the forum about Flash or 3D not working.

Ubuntu developers don't add shiny features anyway.

SunnyRabbiera
October 26th, 2008, 12:33 AM
well Ibex really doesnt seem to be excitement worthy, its horrible under virtual machines, its themes are all boring clearlooks variants, its features are lacking and i really dont see the point in it.

Sealbhach
October 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM
There's lots more support for wireless and 3G mobile broadband, which is a really big step forward I think.

Existing users may not find it exciting, but for new users coming to Ubuntu there's that much less grief in making the switch - which is good for Ubuntu and good for Linux.

This may turn out to be a very significant release in terms of Linux adoption (but I suspect Jaunty will be the big one if they manage to make it look really purty).

Ms_Angel_D
I just want a working Microphone, I'm hoping this update fixes that issue for me. It's all just Icing on the cake so to speak, as they don't have to do updates at all, considering nobody gets paid for the work. If I want to drastically change my system for some flashy effects or such, then I'll do it myself, I'm just glad to have a stable non-microsoft OS.

Dr Small
"$NEW_RELEASE is too buggy"
"Something doesn't work in new $NEW_RELEASE"
"How do I upgrade from alpha 6 to beta?"
"This theme is horrible"
"$NEW_RELEASE is too boring"
"Why did they change the theme back again?"

That's pretty much the cycle. I've seen plenty cycles I can tell you.
And you have been around here longer than I have to observe this. That's why I no longer get excited at new Ubuntu releases, and just stick to Arch.

bruce89
October 26th, 2008, 12:37 AM
And you have been around here longer than I have to observe this. That's why I no longer get excited at new Ubuntu releases, and just stick to Arch.

I really don't know why I still use Ubuntu in fact. I suppose I can't be bothered not to.

TBOL3
October 26th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I agree, ubuntu reliesis are getting boring (not do to lack of features, is just that I've gone through 5 of them now). But I haven't found any other distributions that 'just work' for me.

fedex1993
October 26th, 2008, 01:36 AM
yeah 8.04 does fine for me i dont even think i will upgrade even. Dont want to loose any of my data. Might install it around xmas but right now with all my data to lazy too :\

jimi_hendrix
October 26th, 2008, 01:36 AM
no not really...im more of a person who gets semi-kinda excited for whole new looks...not just tabs in nautilus...

i will upgrade eventually but it is not like ZOMG IM NOT SLEEPING ON THE 29TH CAUSE IM SO PUMPED

vexorian
October 26th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I am planning to upgrade ibex immediately after it is out, in fact, I might end up cleaning my hardware today so I can upgrade to the beta right now. Just tabbed nautilus is great for me, I always get full of nautilus windows... and the next gnome is also going to fix the desktop icon SVG scaling, man that was such a turn down after upgrading hardy and seeing I can't have ultra big icons anymore...

The same was said about gutsy vs. hardy, I think these small non-exciting features can really change your life in the long run, nevertheless it is just 6 months, I wouldn't expect ubuntu to implement world peace in just that.

LaRoza
October 26th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I just want a working Microphone, I'm hoping this update fixes that issue for me. It's all just Icing on the cake so to speak, as they don't have to do updates at all, considering nobody gets paid for the work. If I want to drastically change my system for some flashy effects or such, then I'll do it myself, I'm just glad to have a stable non-microsoft OS.

Actually, many do get paid.

BGFG
October 26th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Um, i'm kind of hyped. I only started using it this year and this will be my first upgrade. I'm already cleaning drives, planning backups and my new system partition hierarchy.
Looking forward to the new kernel, promised speed improvements and better 64bit support.
But then, most of you seem seasoned and i'm something of a newbie.
I don't ever see myself getting bored though, I'm a tweaker. always something to do...

buzzmandt
October 26th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Um, i'm kind of hyped. I only started using it this year and this will be my first upgrade. I'm already cleaning drives, planning backups and my new system partition hierarchy.
Looking forward to the new kernel, promised speed improvements and better 64bit support.
But then, most of you seem seasoned and i'm something of a newbie.
I don't ever see myself getting bored though, I'm a tweaker. always something to do...
I was a tweaker once.....and got hyped. I even remember my first upgrade....

Now I have a girlfriend, She doesn't let me.....LOL

Just kidding,

actually I've always looked forward to the new releases because something wasn't quite right with the one i had at the time. Hardy on this acer laptop is flawless, absolutley flawless and I won't be able to take the chance that ibex with let me down. I'm sticking to hardy, at least for a while

taqkavar
October 26th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I'm having improved boot times with the new release. Also, it seems that I don't need to re install the damn proprietary drivers after each kernel update which is good.

It feels like a polished version of hardy. Actually all updates should be like this, small stable changes, you don't need a new operating system each 6 months. If you want to tinker around, install early alphas and start bug reporting instead.

vexorian
October 26th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I'm having improved boot times with the new release. Also, it seems that I don't need to re install the damn proprietary drivers after each kernel update which is good.
That was always the way it worked, I guess you had nvidia therefore hardy's bug required you to install the unpackaged drivers.

igknighted
October 26th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I had to many bugs in Hardy to use it, so I am quite looking forward to hardy (well, I guess I am not looking forward to it since I am already using it...).

ice60
October 26th, 2008, 08:32 AM
i hate distro updates, it's the worst thing about linux. my distro ends support in about 1 month so i've got that time to fix my external HDD and make a backup, then i'm going to use a rolling release, either arch or that gentoo based distro if that's a rolling release and stable.

is the next ubuntu a LTS? if it is i might use it on something.

etnlIcarus
October 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Ubuntu's on a 6-month release cycle. Unless you only have access to an update every 2 years, you'e not supposed to be excited.

Personally, I look to each update with a certain amount of dread. I usually have to fellate X before it'll behave sensibly.

bomanizer
October 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I've noticed that rhythmbox has gained support for 6gen Ipods. That's cool, though you still need Itunes running in Windows to set up the Ipod. After that, you're all set.

Spike-X
October 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
It depends.

Have they fixed Pulse audio so that I can actually have AmaroK and Firefox with an embedded flash video open, and working, at the same time?

gn2
October 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
It depends.

Have they fixed Pulse audio so that I can actually have AmaroK and Firefox with an embedded flash video open, and working, at the same time?

In 8.04 the Pulse audio fix to make that work is really very simple.
Just remove all the Pulse audio packages and libflashsupport.

jespdj
October 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, I am also not terribly excited for 8.10. For the first time with a new Ubuntu release, I'm seriously thinking about skipping 8.10 alltogether.

I've been using 8.10 alpha 6, beta and rc in a VirtualBox virtual machine, but so far I have not discovered any new feature that makes me want to install it right away when it's out next week. There are no major interesting new features in GNOME 2.24, there's no OpenOffice 3.0, I've not read anything about better integration of PulseAudio. Nothing to be excited about.

On the other hand, the release notes (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810) warn about system lockups when you have an Intel 4965 WiFi Wireless-N network (which is exactly what I have here), and I've read on the forums here that other people with a Dell XPS M1530 have trouble getting the internal microphone to work in 8.10.

Ubuntu 8.04 runs very well on my laptop. And it's an LTS release, which is one more reason to not replace it immediately with 8.10.

Alien.col
October 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I think I'm waiting out on 8.10, the first few months of a release are always kind of unstable anyways. Hardy is fine for now I'm quite happy with it.

Delever
October 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Is there any difference between thread named "excited" and "not excited"? :)

I use it now, it works just fine.

billgoldberg
October 26th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Looking over the features listed on the ubuntu.com RC download page, I decided that this is the least exciting release ever - for me. There are some things that make me say, "Oh, cool, I guess," but nothing too outstanding.

For example, Nautilus's "tab support" is going to be cool, but I mean, it's not like I often have 3 windows of Nautilus open at once! The file roller has support for more formats, but so what? The ones listed (ALZ, RZIP, CAB, TAR.7Z) don't interest me at all; I've never even heard of them (minus CAB).

Anybody else feeling like this? Am I missing something? What are you excited about?

I was thinking the same thing, until I installed it.

Gnome 2.24 is a big improvement for me.

The tabs in nautilus alone are reason enough to upgrade.

seatex
October 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM
8.10 is running great for me. It runs faster than 8.04 on my systems, and has much better wireless support and performance. Those 2 things alone make it worth the upgrade for me.

:guitar:

sparky64
October 26th, 2008, 08:00 PM
As i am a kde supporter this release is a bit of a disappointment for me
As kubuntu still crashes to a black screen on a regular basis.(took 5 mins this morning using a fresh download/clean install)
I have now installed gnome_never really liked the layout and nautilus sucks after getting to know konk)
I have spent a few hours customizing.
got rid of the top menu (my screen is only 800 high and it's a waste of space)
gone back to a single menu button and made konqueror the default file manager(kde 4 version-If anyone knows how to safely install the 3 version please let me know)
not sure i like how it installed the nvidia drivers the way heron did was much more straight forward, But it has installed the nvidia control panel which is a plus.
Its also faster, Everything works (as long as i stay away from kde 4)
sound is perfect-flash doesn't crash my browser and for the first time the screen dimmer works without any fiddling.
I also thought open office 3 would be included.
I will stick with the heron on my main production unit anyway, I always understood that the 6 month releases were the experimental versions for development towards the lts versions.

Ub1476
October 26th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm still waiting for amazing power-managment (top on Ubuntu brainstorm), which beats XP, Vista and Mac through the sky (well, at least is equal).

I think people are starting to think Gnome 3 now, so we might not get that revolutionary updates for the two next (last) Gnome 2 releases.

xpod
October 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM
8.10 is running great for me. It runs faster than 8.04 on my systems, and has much better wireless support and performance. Those 2 things alone make it worth the upgrade for me.

Similar story here.
Although the wireless cards we have all worked with previous versions they could be a bit of a pain at times.It was never really a problem in the past as our previous home was all wired were it mattered.Since moving though the wireless has become the main method of connection for the rest of the house and it`s been faultless with all our wireless cards so far.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM
For some reason I was thinking that 8.10 would have an option to have a separate /home partition at installation. I don't see that listed as one of the features. Other than that option I will continue with 8.04.

Spike-X
October 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
For some reason I was thinking that 8.10 would have an option to have a separate /home partition at installation. I don't see that listed as one of the features. Other than that option I will continue with 8.04.
You can do that with the manual install option.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 26th, 2008, 10:38 PM
You can do that with the manual install option.

Do you mean there is an option when installing 8.10 that will do it for you or do you mean you can use a partitioner to set up a /home partition the way you had to in previous versions?

chris4585
October 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM

You're not the only one, I can't wait to try it out on my laptop, but for my desktop.. It'll probably have hardy on it for a few months. I'm quite happy with hardy.

Spike-X
October 27th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Do you mean there is an option when installing 8.10 that will do it for you or do you mean you can use a partitioner to set up a /home partition the way you had to in previous versions?
The latter.

Spike-X
October 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM
In 8.04 the Pulse audio fix to make that work is really very simple.
Just remove all the Pulse audio packages and libflashsupport.
So basically, the only way to get it to work is to not use it at all?

An interesting solution.

gn2
October 27th, 2008, 08:34 AM
So basically, the only way to get it to work is to not use it at all?

An interesting solution.

Don't know if it's the only way but I know it works.

Pasto
October 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM
The fact that so many people aren't excited about the new release means that the one they are using now is already pretty good.

So it's a good thing :)

clanky
October 27th, 2008, 10:51 AM
The fact that so many people aren't excited about the new release means that the one they are using now is already pretty good.

So it's a good thing :)

That's kind of my view at the moment, hardy works really well for me, I might not bother upgrading. I haven't seen anyting which makes me desperate to have 8.10

bigbrovar
October 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
There were quite a lot of excitements about Ibex. new user interface / experience, brand new theme, total GUI redesign, and some cool composited GDM stuffs that sounded good. in the end all we got was good old ubuntu with some cool things added under the hood. which is not a bad thing.. at least it means that it would be stable since ibex is an improvement to hardy. so am i wowed ? not really .. do i love the improvements ? ofcause. will i be upgrading? sure . am i dissappointed .. hmmm just a little.

hanzomon4
October 27th, 2008, 03:06 PM
summed up my feelings.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM
It appears that InformationWeek (http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/linux/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211600875) is excited about it.

Spike-X
October 28th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Oh, and I will be upgrading, just not straight away. I did that with Hardy, and it was so buggy I had to go back to Gutsy.

dracule
October 28th, 2008, 01:41 AM
OMG!!!!!

The broadcom wireless support is DRASTICALLY better in 8.10! i cant even express how happy i am!

for the past 2 months i havent been able to use linux because b43 sucked so bad, but this new driver they put in there makes an amazing difference.

Grant A.
October 28th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I will probably update within the first few days to let the mirrors get completely set-up. I always like updating because the main *buntus have horrible track records with keeping packages up to date. I mean, fluxbox is in version 1.0.0 in the repos, when everyone knows the "unstable" version is the stable. The truly "unstable" ones are in the git repository.

-grubby
October 28th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I don't find it particularly exciting, but I'm sure they will improve it somehow

So True

d_skillz
October 28th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Better wireless support, improved boot-time, speed improvements. ACPI power fixes hot plugable output better integrated. I suppose we could all just hope for a cake as well, hmnnn, where are the other distros with their feature list....

tuxxy
October 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Bootup/down times are incredible :)

vbabiy
October 28th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I am loving 8.10, only problem is it broke my internal mic on my Dell XPS M1530 which is huge for me since I use skype alot. I hope they fix it asap if not I will have to go back to 8.04.

I will say they improved some stuff on the Dell XPS m1530 in 8.10:
1. Wireless like led works next to power button
2. Trackpad support is much better.
3. Sleep works perfectly now.