PDA

View Full Version : Sub $400 notebook for a friend

cookieofdoom
October 25th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this...

So, my friend is looking for a notebook for under $400. He doesn't need it to do much, just word processing, email, internet, youtube, go to Facebook, and probably listen music. It's for college. There are so many netbooks out there, I was thinking something like the 7 inch eeePC would be nice.

My friend has never used Linux before, so if it comes with Linux it should be really easy to pick up an learn. Honestly, he doesn't have much computer experience and the basics of computers (like attaching a file to an email) are things that he has to be shown how to do a few times before he picks up on them. That's what makes me an easy Linux distro would be useful for him. It would be good if it could run Windows as well, just in case he decides he doesn't like it.

So I guess a quick list of requirements/hopes would be...

Under $400
Running Linux
Easy to use
Does all the things mentioned in first paragraph.
Not too slow (at doing those things)
Runs Windows (would be nice)
Not to net dependent (should run abiword or something, he doesn't have internet at his house)

Thanks for the help guys!:)

LaRoza
October 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
You need something that is modern and works out of the box. The Eee PC and Acer One come with "bad" Linux setups (I haven't met anyone who liked the Acer's, and many put Ubuntu on the Eee).

I suggest the Dell 910, not because I have one, but because it works, with Ubuntu and is a great machine.

I suggest the RAM upgrade to 1 GB, but that will still be under $400.

Under $400: Check
Running Linux: Check, plus, it is Ubuntu with all codecs and apps needed.
Easy to use: Check
Does all the things mentioned in first paragraph.: Check, out of the box
Not too slow (at doing those things): It is pretty fast, but I have it with the 1 GB RAM upgrade.
Runs Windows (would be nice): Can be shipped with XP, so it can run Windows, although I think Windows requires a bigger drive the smallest one it can come with.
Not to net dependent (should run abiword or something, he doesn't have internet at his house): Has all of Ubuntu + more.

cookieofdoom
October 25th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks! I just saw that one, and it looks really good. He does most of his work off of a thumb stick, so storage shouldn't be an issue. How easy would you say the interface is? Ubuntu might be a little challenging for him at first, unless it's got a little simplified. Is it just standard Ubuntu, or does it use the mobile edition?

It looks like a really good machine, and this is the first time I've seen Ubuntu noticeably cheaper than Windows.

LaRoza
October 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks! I just saw that one, and it looks really good. He does most of his work off of a thumb stick, so storage shouldn't be an issue. How easy would you say the interface is? Is it just standard Ubuntu, or does it use the mobile edition?

It looks like a really good machine, and this is the first time I've seen Ubuntu noticeably cheaper than Windows.

I edited my post.

Interface? It has an easy switcher for the default look, and the custom Dell look. The custom Dell interface is nice, except the Dell bar looks out of place, but otherwise, can be considered an improvement (one panel, saves space).

My blog has a review on it.

SomeGuyDude
October 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Keep an eye on http://slickdeals.net/ , they have sub-400 notebooks all the time.

cookieofdoom
October 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on slick-deals if he decides he wants something with Windows on it. I'm definitely going to recommend the Dell Mini to him. He said he was looking for something small, so this seems pretty much perfect. I wonder if I can find one anywhere locally to show it to him...

I saw a youtube video of the interface, and it looks pretty intuitive. The review on your Blog was also very helpful, LaRoza.

dburnett77
October 25th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Toshiba/Nvidia GPU/Realtek Ethernet.

Most are compatible, and vary greatly in price.

Don't fall for the Christmas rush, for the sub $400. Unless you want to make the news getting/doing whooping. As, these days, this is common.

Seems to be one of the Christmas Rushes. To go out whoopin' to get on the news.

Sleigh bells jingling whose that ding-a-ling, Dear.
Santa's clause will include Tylenol, Oh, Dear.

Should have watched your back, now your in the Hospital.
Bills, bills. Where the next Deal!

cookieofdoom
October 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Toshiba/Nvidia GPU/Realtek Ethernet.

Most are compatible, and vary greatly in price.

Don't fall for the Christmas rush, for the sub $400. Unless you want to make the news getting/doing whooping. As, these days, this is common.

Seems to be one of the Christmas Rushes. To go out whoopin' to get on the news.

Sleigh bells jingling whose that ding-a-ling, Dear.
Santa's clause will include Tylenol, Oh, Dear.

Should have watched your back, now your in the Hospital.
Bills, bills. Where the next Deal!

Uh... what? I seriously didn't get much of anything out of that post. Thank you for the Toshiba/Nvidia/Realtek suggestion, though. He's looking for sub $400 because he really doesn't have money for anything else.

It makes sense to get something cheap if all you're going to do with it is research, write papers, and go on Youtube. I think a significant portion of college students have an overpowered computer for what they do. Of course it runs insanely slow because their Windows is loaded with AIM/WLM/Yahoo, spyware, adware, viruses, antimalware software...:lolflag: