PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't CD boot

Revellus
October 25th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I recently obtained an older computer that I want to put ubuntu on, however it does not have a boot option for the CD drive. I was wondering if there was any other way I could install it.

bulldog
October 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Yes there was one.
Don't know exactly how it was going [very long time ago],but you needed to boot from a floppy which contains drivers for the cd-player.
When the driver was loaded,you could use the player using DOS-commands.

But if you can use this to boot a live or an alternate ubuntu cd I don't really know.
You can ask yourself if the specs are sufficient to run ubuntu for that matter.

Revellus
October 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM
The computer can definitely run ubuntu. It isn't anything really fancy but it isn't some ancient dinosaur either. I pulled it out of a dumpster after a company threw it away because they were upgrading to new systems over the summer. It works fine and currently has XP installed (with all of the old user accounts and files still on it. They were all password protected but the Administrator account was not.) I really want to set it up with ubuntu because I'm a beginner and I want to have an extra computer that won't interfere with my work if I screw it up badly.

Anyway, back to the point, where should I look to get this floppy?

bulldog
October 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I think you can start with Microsoft to look if there's anything in the archives.
But if you have a win95 boot floppy or maybe a win98 boot floppy you are half the way.