PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mounting my Windows NTFS partition

DSL5
October 25th, 2008, 04:04 PM
ok, so I've been looking around the internet for a while for an answer for this question, but I can;t seem to find it.

Basically, I want to create a launcher that will mount my windows partition (NTFS). I don't want it automatically mounted at startup. I want a launcher that would be the same thing as going to Places > Local Disk (the name of my windows drive) which would them prompt me for my password and then mount it.

Does anybody know how to do this??

DoctorMike
October 25th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Create a file on your desktop called Mount Drive or whatever you want the launcher to be called. Edit it using gedit so that it contains the following text:

gksu mount /dev/sda1 /media/ntfs

Change /dev/sda1 to whatever your ntfs drive is and /media/ntfs to where ever you want it mounted. Save the file.

Right click on the file, choose properties. Click on permissions, and tick the box for Allow executing file as a program.

Voila, one launcher.

DSL5
October 26th, 2008, 12:44 AM
it didn't work......

all that did was ask me for my password, then nothing happened...

DSL5
October 29th, 2008, 04:39 AM
*bump* Any ideas?

DSL5
November 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
*bump* anybody know a way to do it in 8.10?

epswinde
November 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
install ntfs-config from synaptic, then run it, and name the mount point.
its a fun little gui frontend to editing fstab.

once you have that installed, it's in the administration menu. just pick a name for the partition, and ntfs-config will modify /etc/fstab so that your partition mounts automatically at boot time to /media/(name)

this will allow any user to read/write this partition. if that's not what you want, there's a number of other options. This, however, is the easiest way (i think)