PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot boot windows XP after istalling ubuntu 8.04

sh4dyPT
October 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hello, I have installed ubuntu, and I think that MBR was installed in the same drive as windows XP.
Now when grub loader appears, after choosing windows Xp professional, it's return to grub loader again without showing any error.
I'm new in Linux, and only know a few things about it.
Please help me, I really need both OS.

Any help will be appreciated.

ByteJuggler
October 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM
When you choose to boot XP, do you see any indication at all that XP starts to boot before it reboots again?

sh4dyPT
October 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hi ByteJuggler,
No, I can't see indication that Xp start's.

Edit: the only thing I can see after choosing Xp, appears something like
Starting up....
Grub loader....
after this it's return to grub loader. :s

caljohnsmith
October 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM
If booting Windows sends you back to the Grub menu, that typically happens when Grub is accidentally installed to the boot sector of the Windows partition. If that is your case, you'll need your Windows Install CD to repair it; boot your Windows Install CD, go to the "recovery console", and run:

fixboot
If that doesn't work, it could be that Grub is not booting the correct partition or something like that. But give the above command a try and let me know if it makes any difference. :)

sh4dyPT
October 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM
If booting Windows sends you back to the Grub menu, that typically happens when Grub is accidentally installed to the boot sector of the Windows partition. If that is your case, you'll need your Windows Install CD to repair it; boot your Windows Install CD, go to the "recovery console", and run:

fixboot
If that doesn't work, it could be that Grub is not booting the correct partition or something like that. But give the above command a try and let me know if it makes any difference. :)

I have used fixboot command but after this, error appears saying NTLDR is missing. I have reinstalled ubuntu, windows Xp drive is mounted, but has nothing there. Seems like I lost everything on that drive!

Thanks anyway ;)