PDA

View Full Version : Wow. The new ATI drivers are already here? Intrepid rocks!

blueturtl
October 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I installed the new Intrepid Beta on my wife's notebook, a Compaq nx6125. This notebook has been notoriously bad with Linux, the included wireless is Broadcomm and the integrated graphics are ATI. A little diligence was always required on the user's part is what I'm saying, it wasn't impossible. After installing the new Intrepid Beta though, I have to say 'wow'. After installation I already I had Compiz running and the other quirks seem to have disappeared too.

'Has Canonical finally given in and shipped with closed drivers?' I ponder to myself, but no -- I observe that the driver utility does not say I'm running fglrx! -- This is the new open-source ATI driver and it rocks! I can finally adjust display brightness and have working 3D acceleration at the same time.

Ibex seems polished otherwise too. Gone are the days when I'd have to use special kernel parameters just to boot the system, fiddle with modules to fix DMA and so forth. This is shaping up to be a really fabulous release. Anyone else share my sentiments?

b3n87
October 25th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Im running Intrepid too, I have found a few little niggles but generally Im very impressed.

Congrates on your wifes laptop! :D