PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen Resolution

wyrfxrssn
October 25th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu, and my graphics card isn't compatible with it. I have Ubuntu 8.04. I wanted effects on my computer, so whenever I enabled my graphics card to use them everything started looking messed, but when it wasn't enable they were fine. Then my friend who knows more about it downloaded something to try and fix the messed-up-ness. It did not work. And now, when the graphics card isn't enabled, my biggest screen resolution is 800x600. Help?

overdrank
October 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu, and my graphics card isn't compatible with it. I have Ubuntu 8.04. I wanted effects on my computer, so whenever I enabled my graphics card to use them everything started looking messed, but when it wasn't enable they were fine. Then my friend who knows more about it downloaded something to try and fix the messed-up-ness. It did not work. And now, when the graphics card isn't enabled, my biggest screen resolution is 800x600. Help?

Hi and welcome, you can try and boot into recovery mode which is usually the second choice from the grub and use the xfix option to correct the graphics.
What is the model of the graphics card?

wyrfxrssn
October 29th, 2008, 02:50 AM
IT just says NVidia accelerated graphics driver in hardware drivers.

tuxxy
October 29th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Follow overdranks advice and fix the issue first, you could also reconfigure the xorg from terminal using the following command

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Now another option once back to normal is download envyng-gtk from the repos and see if this is any better at installing the correct drivers.

sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk

It would be very helpful to know your nvidia card model, you could navigate to applications > system tools > sys info > nvidia which should display the model

suncoolsu
October 29th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I am also new to ubuntu. Can you please tell how to check which video card is detected by the OS? Which drivers have been installed and whats the resolution ?

Thanks

overdrank
October 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I am also new to ubuntu. Can you please tell how to check which video card is detected by the OS? Which drivers have been installed and whats the resolution ?

Thanks

Hi and you can use the alt, F2 keys and enter this command
gksu displayconfig-gtk It will identify your card and drivers that is detected and used by Ubuntu. You can use the command lspci in the terminal to identify your hardware and look for VGA that is the graphics card.

suncoolsu
October 30th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I did that. When I go to the Graphics Card tab and change my VGA to Intel and select the appropriate Model no which is 965 - I get an error when I test it - saying that it failed to load the drivers.

Also in the screen tab if try changing the screen type from "plug and go" to Dell with max resolution 1280 x 800 (WGA) again there is an error when I test it saying - it failed to load the screen resolution.

Is it because of my Intel GMA X3100 VGA Card? - Because my readings on google and this formum point towards the same?

If yes - is there a solution?

Thanks
B.

icodeme
October 30th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Easy steps..

1.) Reboot
2.) Press "esc" to proceed to menu
3.) Choose the last option.. Not so sure but I think it has something like " Fix Xserver "

Then it'll autodetect and things will get smooth.:popcorn: