PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Advice on Ubuntu-supported All-in-one Printer/Scanner/Fax Devices

Geekkit
October 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has experience with those all-in-one devices (e.g., HP Color LaserJet 2840 Color LaserJet Flatbed), and Linux, specifically of course, Ubuntu.

I've had luck with HP at least with older devices. I have an HP 6P Laserjet which is actually a parallel port-to-USB and it's recognized just fine by Ubuntu 7.10. I even have a cheap crappy little HP Scanjet 3570c that XSANE even allows to share across my home network.

The reason I'm considering the all-in-one devices is that desktop real-estate is now become an issue so the smaller the better. I'd rather not have to buy a scanner and then a printer separately.

Any advice from the Ubuntu community would be greatly appreciated.

:)

ajgreeny
October 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Have a look on the HP site for information on which multipurpose HP machines are supported by hplip (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html). There are a lot of them which work, I can certainly reccomend the deskjet 2080 (can't remember the exact machine, but I'm certain that will find it). Everything works brilliantly, printer, copier and scanner.

kevinmchapman
October 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM
HP is definitely the way to go. The C5280 works well here and is very reasonably priced.

treesurf
October 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Another happy HP user. In this case HP Deskjet F4185. Works out of the box flawlessy, even better than on Windows!