PDA

View Full Version : Social & Economical impacts of Marijuana

Nostrafus
October 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
So I am currently drafting the creation a video on the Social & Economic impacts on the legalization of Marijuana inside the United States. I wanted to get the opinions of people who live in countries where the plant is legal to grow on the beneficial, and negative impacts it's use as different products had.

There are currently over 30 countries in which it is legal to grow, and I'd like my research to touch on not just the medical facts, and the numbers, but social opinions.

Onto the questions

1. Do you live in a country where personal growth is legal, or is it overseen by government organizations for growth and distribution as a product, and if it is grown by the government has it had a beneficial impact on the economy?

2. Does your country rely more on hemp than cotton for clothing?

3. Have companies in your country began looking at hempoline as a possible alternative fuel source?

4. If it was illegal at a point in your life, has it's legalization had an impact on reducing depression and suicide rates in people who use the plant as a drug?

5. Has the medical field in your country utilized it as an alternative to synthetic prescription pain killers especially in cases of terminal cancer where prescription pain killers have sometimes proven to be ineffective at alleviating pain in the patient.

6. What would you say the levels of abuse are in your country?

7. Do you see advertisements or public service announcements advocating it's responsible use in the media? (Here in the United States, alcohol is one of the most heavily marketed drugs, and television ads are geared more to glorification of it's use rather than it's responsible use, even though they have a disclaimer at the end saying "please use responsibly")

8. If it was illegal in your lifetime, has it's legalization reduced crime rates due to arrests of people for possession and distribution of marijuana. And if so, has this had a beneficial impact on the capacity for police to better serve the people by concentrating on more problematic crimes.

9. Does your country find a number of people who do/have used marijuana moving to other drugs which are illegal? (Marijuana is often cited as being a drug which leads people to using other illegal drugs such as cocaine, methamphetamine, LSD, heroin, etc.)

10. I wanted 10 questions, but I couldn't think of anything. If you've got anything you want to add concerning it's social or economic impacts, feel free.

Thanks in advance, would really help the data I'm pulling together.

gn2
October 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM
1: no

2: no

3: no

4: no

5: don't know, don't care

6: too high

7: no

8: no

9: yes

10: "Among adults, an "amotivational syndrome" has been described, in
which chronic cannabis users become apathetic, socially withdrawn, and
perform at a level of everyday functioning well below their capacity
prior to their cannabis use."
source: http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/medical/ch7.htm

In short, dope is for dopes.

Nostrafus
October 24th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Not discounting your opinion, but do you have any data newer than than the 1980's? And I'm not seeing Scotland on the list of countries where use and growing are legal.

gn2
October 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
10. Cannabis legislation

In January 2004, new legislation was introduced on the classification of cannabis. Whilst it is still illegal to possess cannabis, the new leglislation downgrades the drug from category B to category C thus reducing the penalties for possession and use. The aim was to free up police time for dealing with category A drugs such as heroin and cocaine. The change puts cannabis on a par with anti-depressants and steroids. Under the new legislation, possession of small amounts is no longer considered an arrestable offence .

Source http://www.healthscotland.com/documents/browse/525/1724.aspx

The previous link isn't from the 80's and in any case during the intervening time since it was written and now, the properties and effects of cannabis have not changed, it's still the same substance today as it ever was.

Nostrafus
October 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Ah, aiight. Just have to double check to make sure all data is valid. I was pointing out that a lot of what was cited in the case study came from American medical journals where the studies were done between the 1970's and 1980's, meaning the data is not necessarily valid in my study.

I would like all information to come from countries in which the studies were done at a time when Marijuana is/was legal so the views and study are not corrupted by personal opinion based on the "demonification" of the substance.

The time frame in which the studies the paper cited were in a time when the drug was demonified by the American government (I think anyone who grew up in the US during the 80's remembers the absurdity of the PSA's on marijuana) potentially leading to a more negative perspective on the data.

I'd like to point out that no, I'm not a stoner, I have but do not regularly use marijuana, I have an excellent work ethic, I have called out sick maybe 5 times in the last 10 years, and I have had several IQ tests which put me at an IQ of 158. I wanted to compile this information from an open minded perspective of a non-habitual user.

I-75
October 24th, 2008, 08:39 PM
1.No

2. No

3. No

4. No

5. See below

6. Way too much, we still have people driving drunk despite the crackdowns and people being stoned from Marijuana behind the wheel is just as bad ....if not worse.

7. No

8. No

9. Yes

10. I think cancer patients should be able to use it (with a prescription) in any state or country. Beyond that I am against legalization of it.

I think everyone who is caught or arrested for it needs to go through detox and attend mandatory anti drug counseling.