PDA

View Full Version : Usefull things to do with a G1 (android)

Delvien
October 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
First. I love this phone... It's open source, fast, secure, and stable. (a lot more stable than iphone)

SSH'ed to my server through my phone doing updates ( I know the pic is a little dark. I was so excited that I didn't have time to GIMP it) :

More pics to follow later.

Hire
October 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Opensource? Are you sure? :D

Look to the Freerunner

Delvien
October 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Opensource? Are you sure? :D

Look to the Freerunner

Yes. Android is an open source OS for mobile phones.

FreeRunner is just a concept and looks horrible. This is actually out, and working beautifully.

nowin4me
October 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM

Dose this mean that you can put it on other phones like a Nokia for example?

cookieofdoom
October 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
There are actually lots of porting projects going on right now. The big thing is trying to get the kernel and drivers to work. My phone would support android except the phone part, the battery charging part, and the camera part don't work with Linux yet...

Dragonbite
October 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Would love to hear your thoughts on it as you use it day-to-day!

Icehuck
October 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Only thing I don't like about the android is the Android Market will not allow anything that can compete with Google's existing programs.

Delvien
October 24th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Only thing I don't like about the android is the Android Market will not allow anything that can compete with Google's existing programs.

You can install apps from the web too, APK files to be exact.

Icehuck
October 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
You can install apps from the web too, APK files to be exact.

I have no problems doing this but what about the average user?

Ub1476
October 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM

How do you know that?

Icehuck
October 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
How do you know that?

Wikipedia and PC Mag podcast.

Wiki entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market)

Delvien
October 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Would love to hear your thoughts on it as you use it day-to-day!

Using the G1 day to day so far has been great. Phone calls are easy, clear, and crisp. It’s UI is sleek, speedy and responsive. I’ve had one app crash on me (browser on an intensively heavy site, and it gave me the option to wait or force quit it. ( I clicked wait) and it was back up in 2 seconds.

Texting and emailing are easy to read/write and responsive.

All together it’s a nice phone and even better “PDA”

Cool apps:
Weather, gps, built in google maps with gps ( sooooo easy)

I can control itunes from my phone via wifi, and even amarok when in linux.

SSH ( 3 emu modes) which is shown above.

And others.

*off to go play on it more*

Delvien
October 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Touching the link to download and then clicking install isn't hard at all :)

Ub1476
October 24th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Wikipedia and PC Mag podcast.

Wiki entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market)

Suppose you mean this:

It has also come to light that some functionality will be reserved for approved applications[59] making it impossible for 3rd parties to develop some types of application to compete with pre-install applications such as Marketplace.

That's not good.. :(

bashveank
October 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM

So? Android's open source, just make your own Android Market that does allow competing products.

Delvien
October 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure what you guys want. The world and cake?

It's a great phone, leaps and bounds above anything else out right now.

Icehuck
October 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM
So? Android's open source, just make your own Android Market that does allow competing products.

As long as you can add the java libraries to the system it shouldn't be a problem. But right now they lock the system down so that regular programs can not make full use of Java on the system.

the yawner
October 25th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I'm looking forward to the Android phones the other manufacturers would offer.

systm
October 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM

Thats not entirely accurate. While there are somethings that you cannot do as of yet to core OS functionality, you can for sure make new apps that work along side or replace utilites/programs

plb
October 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm interested in Android but not in the G1 for a few reasons.

1) Poor battery life
2) Dated Hardware
3) 2 year contract with Tmobile for either $25 or $35 a month extra...no thanks
4) UI somewhat lags and hangs

I've also heard of peoples handsets simply dying after only a few days use over androidcommunity forums. Interesting times for mobiles, especially now that QT has been ported to symbian s60 devices =)

As of now, I'm quite happy with my e51 but I'll keep my eye on future android handsets.

cardinals_fan
October 26th, 2008, 10:25 PM
What is an "average user"? Do you chop a tall user and short user in half and mix the halves?

azangru
October 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Do you chop a tall user and short user in half and mix the halves?

This results in a very mean user

Frak
October 26th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Android Market

luvdemheels
October 27th, 2008, 01:41 AM
No G1 for me..I had one in my hands but friggin tmobile screwed me. I gave them my credit card to bill monthly and all but yet they would not activate my phone and wanted my utility bill and even more so I said NO.

I have one of the highest credit ratings a person could want and yet they treated me like CRAP. I put the phone back in the package and sent in back to them within 20 minutes of having it. I am still MAD about it!

Frak
October 27th, 2008, 02:03 AM
No G1 for me..I had one in my hands but friggin tmobile screwed me. I gave them my credit card to bill monthly and all but yet they would not activate my phone and wanted my utility bill and even more so I said NO.

I have one of the highest credit ratings a person could want and yet they treated me like CRAP. I put the phone back in the package and sent in back to them within 20 minutes of having it. I am still MAD about it!
AT&T did the same thing with the iPhone with me. You're really just another customer to them. (one person walks out the door, another one enters)

Delvien
October 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM

So because they wanted to verify your identity, and make sure you weren't going to screw them out of a discounted phone (or whatever you were trying to get) they are horrible?

Stop playing the victim.

Delvien
October 28th, 2008, 03:21 AM
AT&T did the same thing with the iPhone with me. You're really just another customer to them. (one person walks out the door, another one enters)

If you knew what I knew about AT&T, their very name would make you cringe.

zmjjmz
October 28th, 2008, 03:21 AM
What cool apps are in the marketplace now?

Frak
October 28th, 2008, 03:27 AM
If you knew what I knew about AT&T, their very name would make you cringe.
They were my ISP for 7 years (even back when it was known here as SBC Global, back when AT&T was actually AT&T and not SBC with a different name). I read the reports, and they are pretty clean compared to others.

Delvien
October 28th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I read the reports, and they are pretty clean compared to others.

Lol, reports.

Frak
October 28th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Lol, reports.
Reports, forums, user responses, legal documents, etc.

I do my research before I choose who handles my information. They are not nearly as bad as say... comcast.

Dragonbite
October 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Reports, forums, user responses, legal documents, etc.

I do my research before I choose who handles my information. They are not nearly as bad as say... comcast.

For me, it's a choice of AT&T (DSL) or Comcast (Cable). I'll go with the one with FEWER reports or abuse. Also, Comcast doesn't seem to be willing to change their tactics/mind/attitude towards the whole situation.

luvdemheels
October 28th, 2008, 02:15 PM
delvien,

they had my ss# already plus my credit card info, address, etc. Why have an option to pay/but online if you are going to try to force someone to wait to have a phone activitated until they drive home (I was at work while this was going down)...get utility bills and then find a fax machine and fax them?!?!

Screw that. They had enough info. They might as well take their buy online garbage OFFLINE. There is no real way to buy and pay online if you have to go thru all that manual garbage.

graabein
October 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Can you copy and paste text?

How's the display for reading PDF files? What resolution is it?

plb
October 28th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Can you copy and paste text?

How's the display for reading PDF files? What resolution is it?

I know you can copy and paste...but as far as reading pdfs I don't know and I don't have one or I'd check for ya ;]

say2sky
October 29th, 2008, 01:53 AM
android is linux-based OS, netbook can run linux on it.

has anybody let android run on any netbook and other laptop, let all people enjoy android through wifi or 3g like t-mobile users and us users.

linux also has virtual machine with arm architecture, I feel android should can be run on linux, I hope ubuntu is first one.

plb
October 29th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I know I said I wasn't going to get one a few posts but I just did last night lol. I saw someone using it and they showed me a bit of it so I walked into tmo store and got one..pretty nice if I do say so. Comes out in the UK tommorrow so we should be getting an even bigger userbase for the market....good stuff.

Xzoky
October 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I gotta get one of these !
I'll just have to wait another 18 months or so before it's distributed in Europe -_-
Life isn't fair ...

plb
October 29th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I gotta get one of these !
I'll just have to wait another 18 months or so before it's distributed in Europe -_-
Life isn't fair ...

Comes out in UK tomorrow

luvdemheels
October 29th, 2008, 09:45 PM
walmart is supposed to start selling them even cheaper than tmobile is selling them.

If anyone has one please give us details and tell us how you like it.

DeadSuperHero
October 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Once Verizon starts carrying these, I will most definitely switch.

Verizon's phones are alright, but their service is superb out here in the U.S. countryside.

Xzoky
October 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Comes out in UK tomorrow

How long before it crosses the Channel ? God knows ...

plb
November 2nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
I don't think Verizon will ever carry an android handset. Verizon seems to be the most locked down carrier here in the states.

zmjjmz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
I don't think Verizon will ever carry an android handset. Verizon seems to be the most locked down carrier here in the states.

Sounds about right.
I hope they do though, it's unlikely I'll ever switch to a different carrier.

plb
November 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
what's so great about verizon that you'll never switch?

hanzomon4
November 3rd, 2008, 01:44 AM
The G1 is a sorry disappointment that does not do android justice. I'm sorry but it's so ugly and doesn't really offer anything the iphone doesn't. The plan is just as restrictive(exclusive tmobile, no tethering, 2 year lock in) and tmobile has much worse 3g coverage. The only good thing about the phone is the OS.

Dragonbite
November 3rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
I've had more consistent coverage with Verizon overall, though I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with an equivalent AT&T or any other phone.

Although the coverage of some of these carriers is getting better I would really want to find somebody with a different carrier and find out how they far in some of my troublesome spots.

Muppeteer
November 3rd, 2008, 01:52 AM
Just got this phone on Friday...and i can say it is awesome!

I've yet to find anything i don't like about it :)

RicJD
November 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM
whats the music player like on it? I have a jailbroken iphone which i like, but my contract is with t-mobile. i'm sure i could sway t-mobile to increase my monetly bill etc to get this phone, but i do like being able to listen to my music on my iphone.

also does it have a headphone jack?

dystorteddream
November 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Once Verizon starts carrying these, I will most definitely switch.

Verizon's phones are alright, but their service is superb out here in the U.S. countryside.

The android OS is a part of the open handset alliance, and Verizon is not a part of that. Right now, the US providers are T-Mo and Sprint.

Dragonbite
November 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
The android OS is a part of the open handset alliance, and Verizon is not a part of that. Right now, the US providers are T-Mo and Sprint.

Others may join after T-Mo and Sprint work through any "bugs" and shows there is a market for it.

ELD
November 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I really what an Android based phone, but i cannot upgrade till at least march next year, kinda hoping there will be more choices for Android then.

My Viewty is total sucky.

trevorcarpenter
January 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I'm quite satisfied with my new G1.

(I have nothing else to offer, other than that.)

PartisanEntity
January 27th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I am interested in trying out Android to see how it compares to my iPhone.

I have been using the iPhone for about 5 months now, and while I like may aspects, I still feel that the iPhone under a more open OS would be 100 times better.

As a platform, the iPhone is great, I would love to see Linux running on it.

As a product from Apple (i.e. vendor lock-in) the iPhone is less great.

russo.mic
January 28th, 2009, 08:20 AM

FreeRunner is just a concept and looks horrible. This is actually out, and working beautifully.

I'm lovin my freerunner. Running android on the flash, and FSO on the internal flash.

Russo

MikeTheC
January 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Well, for the love of rms or Linus Torvalds, please don't do this (http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=iphone3g)...

super.rad
May 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Got a HTC Magic a couple of weeks ago, loving it so far. Can control transmission from my phone (transdroid app). Any suggestions on other "must have" apps?

basilf
July 29th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Right now to Google in thier wisdom can only sync with Windows software. HTC has NO future plan to ever support Linux seperately I got got that from HTC. The guy I talked with at HTC claimed they NEVER heard of Linux before my call, unbelievable!!! So if you got a HTC Dream like me and use Ubuntu are out of @#$@#$# luck until people at HTC come to thier scenses.

pwnst*r
August 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
First. I love this phone... It's open source, fast, secure, and stable. (a lot more stable than iphone)

SSH'ed to my server through my phone doing updates ( I know the pic is a little dark. I was so excited that I didn't have time to GIMP it) :

More pics to follow later.

since when is the iphone unstable? LOL crock.

amitabhishek
August 21st, 2009, 05:47 AM
FreeRunner is just a concept and looks horrible.

Yes and no!

It looks better than G1. The philosophy behind FreeRunner is different. It can boot almost 14 distros including Android! It was never supposed to be a finished product.

MikeTheC
August 21st, 2009, 06:03 AM
What To Do with an Android G1 in Three Simple Steps:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/Images/massive-nuclear-explosion.jpg

Step 1: Place Android G1 on spot marked with "X"
Step 2: Activate Count-Down Timer
Step 3: Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unstable Element
August 21st, 2009, 07:34 AM
Right now to Google in thier wisdom can only sync with Windows software. HTC has NO future plan to ever support Linux seperately I got got that from HTC. The guy I talked with at HTC claimed they NEVER heard of Linux before my call, unbelievable!!! So if you got a HTC Dream like me and use Ubuntu are out of @#$@#$# luck until people at HTC come to thier scenses.

You could just use Evoltion, and use your google adress book, your google calender and your google IMAP. That way it also syncs.

or write an app for it :)

tk03759
September 13th, 2009, 05:16 AM
They kinda did away with the need for syncing with the computer by syncing straight to the server. Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar all sync online so you can access them anywhere. Is there more you need to sync??

PS.. has anyone tried the MyTouch with Android yet?? Is it lots faster? I couldn't do without my G1 physical keyboard but I'm curious cause they added more ram.

JT9161
September 13th, 2009, 06:23 AM
http://code.google.com/p/tricorder/

GoodPanos
September 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I just purchased the new myTouch 3G from T-Mobile USA and I was wondering if there is any way to tether the phone with Ubuntu? I haven't received the phone yet but it should be here next week.

tk03759
September 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I just purchased the new myTouch 3G from T-Mobile USA and I was wondering if there is any way to tether the phone with Ubuntu? I haven't received the phone yet but it should be here next week.

I was wondering the same thing, but then I realized there's no need to really. All your Google contacts, emails, calendar events, and, if you use Google Voice, texts and phone calls are all synced via your Google Account. So you can get them wherever you go that has internet.

The included sync cord lets you plug your phone in and access the mini sd card on it to put pictures or music on or take them off.

The integration with Google's products is really cool.

octostasis
September 24th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I'm trying to figure out how I can tether the G1 Android to my computer (HP G60 running 9.04) for internet access while away from wifi/cable etc. I used to have a blackberry, and it was very simple to do with the help of a fantastic program called berry4all. It found the USB port the blackberry was connected to, and piped the blackberry data plan through to the computer's network connects. Anybody know of a way to do this with the G1?

Thanks!

Mateo
September 25th, 2009, 12:21 AM
there is an alternative to the Android Market... it has a tether app. Can't remember what it is called though.

darkdragn
October 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm trying to figure out how I can tether the G1 Android to my computer (HP G60 running 9.04) for internet access while away from wifi/cable etc. I used to have a blackberry, and it was very simple to do with the help of a fantastic program called berry4all. It found the USB port the blackberry was connected to, and piped the blackberry data plan through to the computer's network connects. Anybody know of a way to do this with the G1?

Thanks!

Have you rooted it yet? The only net tethering apps that I've seen require root access, but here's some links:

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
(The above is also accessible through the Tethering Petition on the android market)

... >_<... I'm currently unable to find a link to the other tethering app that I have, however it involves the SDK, and a port forwarding command (essentially using the phone as a proxy). If anyone would find that app useful i have the apk, and instructions. I will upload and post upon request. (However the only one I use is the Wireless tethering app, which turns the wifi card unto an AD-HOC brodcast... ^_^)

Hope this helped someone a little bit...

gccradioscience
November 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I have used the G1 phone for a long time. It really gets along very well with my netbook with Ubuntu 10.10, never had problems except for running out of space. I believe the G1 is for people who are really serious about math and science. They do have educational apps on there, especially for college students. My G1 is like a serious radio science and radio astronomy phone that has apps related to radio communications, space weather, weather, and electromagnetism, and paranormal activities, navigation, electronics, engineering. They even have apps, but have not bought one yet that tracks C and Ku Band satellites. They also have some delicious apps with some very good recipes to cook such as Chicken Tacos or Burritos.

Ella Atrix
November 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hi friends

I recently bought a 2nd hand example of the G1 via e.bay. The previous owner had uprated. The O.S. to Android 2.1. This worked but slowed the phone down. It eventually went. Into a reboot loop which rendered the handset useless. I did a Factory reset wiped out the dialler! Eventually I had it reflashed to Android.1 updated now to 1.6. By and large, I am quite impressed with what is now rather an old phone. My other phone is the Nokia N900 and I find it in many ways quite similar to the G1

My criticisms of the phone are the usual ones - battery life and lack of phone memory. It could also do with some more ram! However, if you are looking for a good phone with a physical keyboard, that can handle lots of applications, then the G1 could be the one for you.

But your ideas are interesting :D