PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Windows installation killed my Ubuntu

balagosa
October 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Before anyone comments, I needed Windows because of MatLab. I know there is SciLab to counter MatLab but my teacher is strict that we should use MatLab because he will check our codes. VMware wouldnt do because it was too slow. Wine was just not working for me.

I know there are threads like this all around the forums, but I have no time. My schedule is just hectic now that it is finals week.

So I installed windows. The problem is Windows killed my Grub Boot Loader, resulting that I can not load my Ubuntu anymore. When I start up my PC, it directly goes to Winblows.

So can anyone help?

As a last resort, after passing the project I will load the LiveCD and delete the windows partition.

balagosa
October 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I found this thread, I hope this works

link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=755782)

rsambuca
October 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
All you have to do is re-install grub to the MBR using a liveCD. It should detect both Ubuntu and Windows and then give you an option at bootup which to start.

balagosa
October 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
re-install grub to the MBR

Exaclty how do you do that?

rsambuca
October 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Boot up from an Ubuntu live CD. Open a terminal. At the prompt, enter
sudo grubThen at the grub> prompt, enter
find /boot/grub/stage2It will give you a location of your Ubuntu grub in the form of (hdX,Y), where X and Y will be numbers specific to your installation. Use this info to setup grub by entering
root (hdX,Y), replacing the X and Y with your specific numbers. Then write the grub to the MBR by entering
setup (hd0)Then get out of grub by entering
quit

balagosa
October 25th, 2008, 02:33 AM
That worked and it is a better solution to the link that I found.

jpkotta
October 25th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Matlab does run on Linux. The student version (I will assume that's what you have) has all three of Windows, Mac, and Linux versions on the CD.

Also, take a look at Octave. It generally considers incompatibilities with Matlab as bugs, and with some experience you can write code that will run on both.

balagosa
October 25th, 2008, 03:27 AM
OK, there is a new problem.

Now I can not load Windows, it has been wiped off the Grub options. How do I put it in?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solved it. Windows is on /dev/sda2 so I edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and added

title Windows XP
root (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

root (hd0,1) // This is 1 because Windows is located on sda2