PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install stall

themattinator
October 24th, 2008, 04:46 PM
First of all, hi! I tried a bunch of different searches and couldn't find anything on this so here's my specs first:

Toshiba satelite L25 S1215
XP Home edition 2002, Service Pack 3
Intel Celeron processor
1.50 Ghz 448 MB RAM

Ok, so I'm trying to do a dual boot with XP and Ubuntu 8.04. I got the live CD, and it works fine until i get to this screen:

http://apcmag.com/images/apcapc/howto/Dualboot_-_XP___Ubuntu__XP_first__images/media_1208756272146.jpg

No matter which option I press, nothing happens. I've tried giving it some time, yet it does nothing.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's very aggravating.

gjoellee
October 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM
With your RAM I would recommend you do use Xubuntu, or Linux Mint XFCE. GNOME (which is used in Ubuntu) takes a lot of RAM while working... I would recommend to have at least 1gb of RAM to run Ubuntu, 190mb RAM to run Xubuntu, and 1.5GB Ram to run Kubuntu with KDE 4

This seams to be a bad burn....

themattinator
October 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks! Do Xubuntu or Linux Mint give the option to create partitions upon install or must this be done manually?

Also, one quick unrelated question: what do FDD and LAN stand for on boot order? I can't seem to find this anywhere :(

Forget the last question. I found that FDD appears to be floppy drive, and LAN is local area connection, correct?

themattinator
October 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I guess forget the first question, too. I popped in the cd with the comp on, and it installed right there in XP. I guess booting from the Cd isn't necessary at all then?

Anyway, the dual boot works fantastic. Now, i've got to work on getting an internet connection in Ubuntu. I don't suppose the university access program is going to be very friendly to linux...

ammikulka
October 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM
my school does fine as long as im using IE.... which is no problem!!:guitar:

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

themattinator
October 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
go back to using IE? hmmm i dont think so. lol thanks though! i'm workin on it :D

dabl
October 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM
If you're burning the Live CD yourself, regardless of which *buntu it is, you need to be sure and burn it slow at 4X speed, and use "DAO" mode if your burning software has that option.