PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for netbook?

themissinglink1
October 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I am in the market for a netbook laptop. Obviously small and portable:D I need there to be a webcam, reasonable hard drive for documents and photos (8GB + preferably), and most importantly is preinstalled with Ubuntu. I know Ubuntu can be installed after but I'm not that confident I would be able to set it up including wireless cards etc without problems( I have heard especially the Acer is hard to configure). If you have any suggestions or have a netbook yourself i would like to hear your opinions?

Budget really isnt that important since most netbooks are under £400 but if you know of good deals even better:D

Ub1476
October 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Dell Inspiron One, 8 or 16 GB SSD (from 350-450$ I think) with Ubuntu preinstalled perhaps?

There are a couple threads here about it if your search the forum.

LaRoza
October 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I am in the market for a netbook laptop. Obviously small and portable:D I need there to be a webcam, reasonable hard drive for documents and photos (8GB + preferably), and most importantly is preinstalled with Ubuntu. I know Ubuntu can be installed after but I'm not that confident I would be able to set it up including wireless cards etc without problems( I have heard especially the Acer is hard to configure). If you have any suggestions or have a netbook yourself i would like to hear your opinions?

Budget really isnt that important since most netbooks are under £400 but if you know of good deals even better:D

Dell 910, works perfectly (now) with Ubuntu. You can get it with 4GB, 8GB or 16 GB SSD's.

Good size screen and keyboard, yet small and light. You can get a 0.3 or a 1.3 MP webcam. I suggest the 1 GB RAM upgrade.

darrenn
October 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I hear that the dell's have no fans in them. If you were looking for something quiet.

LaRoza
October 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I hear that the dell's have no fans in them. If you were looking for something quiet.

Not hot, either.

Although they do get warm, like all computers.

Don S
October 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I know you're asking for a netbook with Ubuntu preinstalled, but the Asus Eee is fairly easy to configure, to work with Ubuntu. There's a special kernel made for the Eee that supports all the hardware in it out-of-the-box.

I've got a 901'er myself with "Ubuntu Eee" - a netbook remix specifically designed for the Eees - and it is really easy to get to work. The only problem I have, is that switching on/off the wireless card, can only disable it and you have to go into the BIOS to enable it again (I spent 8 hours, before I found that out...).

themissinglink1
October 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks I had a look the 901 seems to be a really good machine. The lack of fans or at least low noise level is an absolute bonus... i don't want to be noisy on the train:D

Spindel
October 24th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I would also suggest Eee 901 and then manually installing Ubuntu eee