PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AHHH cant install new packages!

Blue Toes
October 24th, 2008, 07:32 AM
whenever i try and install a package i get this error message (most importantly xorg-driver-fgrlz for graphics support)

Unpacking xorg-driver-fglrx (from .../xorg-driver-fglrx_1%3a7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.14-21.51_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xorg-driver-fglrx_1%3a7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.14-21.51_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/sbin/atigetsysteminfo.sh', which is also in package fglrx64-6-8-0
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/xorg-driver-fglrx_1%3a7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.14-21.51_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What do I do?

Kevbert
October 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM
What command are you using to install oackages ? You may need to use 'sudo' for root privileges. For example

sudo apt-get install package

Blue Toes
October 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
no i use the sudo command. Ever if i try to install from synaptic the error occurs. When i open the Update manger i get the message

You have 1 broken package on your system!

Use the "Broken" filter to locate it.

i tried to use the 'fix broken packeges' tool on synaptic but it did nt work either...

Kevbert
October 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Via Terminal, try using

sudo apt-get install -f
This should find and repair any broken packages.

Blue Toes
October 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
it didn't work. It just tried to install the same package which is broken and gave me the original error message again

Kevbert
October 26th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Have you tried using the following in terminal

sudo dpkg --configure -a
See if that works on its own.
The other thing to try is a complete removal of the graphics driver via Synaptic and then try re-installing the package. It looks like you're trying to resolve an ATI driver problem. You may need to reboot between removal and re-install, it's possible that after the reboot you may end up in low resulution mode, until you've got the driver re-installed.

gurubobnz
May 3rd, 2010, 11:38 PM
sudo dpkg --configure -a followed by sudo apt-get -f install worked for me. Cheers!