PDA

View Full Version : Woman arrested after killing video-game husband

Grant A.
October 24th, 2008, 03:44 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/10/23/avatar.murder.japan.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

The police official said he did not know if she was married in the real world.

Wow... ._.

zmjjmz
October 24th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Yeah, uh, I'm quite sure this does not deserve anything at all.
I mean stuff like this happens all the time. Get a life.
Outside of MapleStory.

kjb34
October 24th, 2008, 04:16 AM
That is crazy. She's arrested for whacking an avatar? Come on. Can't the guy just make a new one?

ronnielsen1
October 24th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Yeah, let him make a new avatar and I guess don't p.o. the woman this time.

BGrigg
October 24th, 2008, 04:24 AM
No, she's arrested for hacking the deceased account, not murder. It's a CNN story, the title of the story is completely misleading, like always.

Lord Xeb
October 24th, 2008, 04:26 AM
WTF? I chuckled at that.

zmjjmz
October 24th, 2008, 04:37 AM
But as the story says, they had shared passwords. So how is that "hacking" if you have permitted access to the account?
Anyways, I;m not familiar with MapleStory but if you die can't you just respawn like all other good MMORPG's?

mrgnash
October 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Sad. Another reason for me to despise MMORPGs.

MasterNetra
October 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Sad. Another reason for me to despise MMORPGs.

Nah just another reason not to give out your password :roll:

NintendoTogepi
October 24th, 2008, 05:48 AM
When I seen the topic title, I pictured a story like this:

Woman's husband becomes obsessed with MMORPG
Woman's husband pays no attention to his wife
Woman snaps and stabs him when he's playing the game
Woman arrested for murder

OutOfReach
October 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Wow, just wow.

LaRoza
October 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Wow, just wow.

No, "Maple Story". WoW is another addictive online game.

Paqman
October 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM
So how is that "hacking" if you have permitted access to the account?

Probably not hacking, no. But if you give a friend a spare key to your house, that doesn't mean they can to let themselves in and trash your stuff. IANA(J)L, but he could possibly allege some kind of damages.

OutOfReach
October 24th, 2008, 05:59 AM
No, "Maple Story". WoW is another addictive online game.

Lol.
WoW, Maple Story, Runescape, they're all the same to me. :)

LaRoza
October 24th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Lol.
WoW, Maple Story, Runescape, they're all the same to me. :)

I too. I have nothing to do with them.

If I wanted my computer to control my life...I'd use Linux.

Looking back, I think I should have thought that out more...

SupaSonic
October 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I'm surprised the police even took the guy's statement.

kernelhaxor
October 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM
the article says the punishment could be five years of prison?
Is this the real world that I am living in?

PartisanEntity
October 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM
When I read articles like this I lose some faith in the future of humanity. Are we becoming more daft as a species the more advanced we become? Will we end up like the human beings in Wall.e ?

LaRoza
October 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM
the article says the punishment could be five years of prison?
Is this the real world that I am living in?

Articles always give the max for the most serious possible charge.

Read the article again and you'll see there are no formal charges and it could just be a fine.

LaRoza
October 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM
When I read articles like this I lose some faith in the future of humanity. Are we becoming more daft as a species the more advanced we become? Will we end up like the human beings in Wall.e ?

No, it is just bad writing.

Writers for "news" know nothing about law and want stories. They always pick the worst possible charge, the max penalty, and then do a pre-judgement to make it sound like it is in the bag.

The article and title makes it sound like someone is going to jail for five years for killing killing of a video game character, when in truth it is someone facing charges for cracking into another's personal computer, regardless of the reason.

I'd be surprised if there were a fine given in the end.

earthpigg
October 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM
TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A 43-year-old Japanese...

did anyone else see that coming before they even entered the thread?

in my head, it was a coin toss between Japan and South Korea.

fatality_uk
October 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
.... err .... I can't re .... don't know what to ....

MaindotC
October 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Probably not hacking, no. But if you give a friend a spare key to your house, that doesn't mean they can to let themselves in and trash your stuff. IANA(J)L, but he could possibly allege some kind of damages.

Yeah, actually it does. The police will not file a police report because its not theft. Unfortunately, I speak from experience on this one...

LaRoza
October 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Yeah, actually it does. The police will not file a police report because its not theft. Unfortunately, I speak from experience on this one...

That depends on the situation and statutes of the area.

eragon100
October 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Quote:

"The woman, who is jailed on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, used his identification and password to log onto popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in mid-May, a police official in northern Sapporo said on condition of anonymity, citing department policy."

What's so strange about this arrest? She basically impersonated the guy and ruined his game experience by logging in with his name and password!

If she would have killed him with her own account by simply cutting his head off with a sword or something (I guess it's done that way in maple story? :cool:), she wouldn't have been arrested. I don't see the problem :confused:

earthpigg
October 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM
What's so strange about this arrest? She basically impersonated the guy and ruined his game experience by logging in with his name and password!

most MMO EULAs tell you not to share your password.

i never share passwords with anyone.

i really have zero sympathy for this guy.

in regards to the statement made about "just because someone gives you a key to their house, doesn't mean you can go in and trash it."

most MMO EULAs tell you that you do not own your character or account, the company does.

so, if anything, she trashed the companies stuff.

Grant A.
October 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Well, it seems that the journalist has no idea about MMO's, nor the man apparently... You can respawn in MapleStory by pressing enter...

Mason Whitaker
October 24th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I laughed so hard when I heard about this.

Look guys, it obvious the lady was imbalanced, or else she wouldn't had become THAT upset.

the8thstar
October 24th, 2008, 10:55 PM
No, she's arrested for hacking the deceased account, not murder. It's a CNN story, the title of the story is completely misleading, like always.

Yep, the day journalists actually do some actual accurate reporting pigs will fly.

zmjjmz
October 25th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Well, it seems that the journalist has no idea about MMO's, nor the man apparently... You can respawn in MapleStory by pressing enter...

Well he might of dropped possessions (like in Runescape) that would be hard to get back.

mrgnash
October 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Nah just another reason not to give out your password :roll:

I've given out my password to various MMORPGs lots of times. Usually because I get bored with them before the duration of my membership has run out, and I give it to someone else to play for awhile.