PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network users - how do you setup mythubuntu?

Iwantu_ubuntu
October 24th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Hi,

I'm really interested in creating a HTPC using mythubuntu. I think I have all the components now but I'm a little stumped as I'm getting ready to put it all together. It's probably a trivial question, but I just can't (yet) figure out how it all connects together.

I have shuttle pc that a friend gave to me. I put in a Interage Geforce FX 5200 128MB DDR 8X AGP video card which has DVI, VGA and S Video Out. I also bought a WinTV-PVR 350, model 990. This is the part that is confusing me...did I get the right tv tuner? I have a DISH network receiver, model 311 and I can't visualize how I get the picture from the receiver and into the WinTV-PVR 350 and then back to the TV so I can change channels, record etc..etc.. Can any DISH or even DirecTV users clarify what the setup is like? or even like a diagram?

TIA

newlinux
October 24th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Your PVR-350 should have inputs on it (composite or S-video or coax). Connect the matching output from your dish receiver (preferably S-video if you have choices) to the corresponding input on your pvr-350. Then output from your video card to your monitor (whatever input your monitor supports). You will need an ir blaster or serial cable to control channel changing on your dish receiver. There are plenty of examples of this if you google you might find a diagram. It's basically just as if you had a VCR that you wanted to record satellite tv to and watch from your vcr.

Iwantu_ubuntu
October 24th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Thanks a lot for the reply...Actually, I have never hooked up a VCR to satellite so thats why I couldn't make heads or tails of this. I think the picture part makes sense now and I'll see what I can find out about the IR blaster. The PVR-350 has a remote and a receiver - which I'm guessing might be the IR blaster?

newlinux
October 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM
A receiver is for receiving signals from the remote. A blaster sends signals. to another machine, so you still need a blaster if you don't have one with the card. Some receivers can have an IR blaster attached to them (like the ones that come with a lot of the MCE Remote/Receiver combos).