PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] How to reinstall if I have separate /home partition?

JazonEsti
October 24th, 2008, 02:46 AM
This is assuming I want a clean install or something happened to the upgrade.

When I installed Hardy Heron, I created a separate /home folder. Suppose I upgrade to Intrepid Ibex how to I ensure my /home is intact and the partitions are mounted correctly? Also, will my settings (like Firefox bookmarks, OpenOffice configuration/templates) be saved?

From what I recall when I installed 8.04, I installed Kubuntu in / and did something to /home (I forgot what it was). All I know is that yes, I now have a separate /home partition that mounts automatically.

Thanks!

tuxxy
October 24th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Go ahead and install, if its on a seperate partition it will be safe.

If it wasnt mounted then update your fstab wirth this line - note sda must be changed to your correct partition number of the /home, I just used sda3 for example

/dev/sda3 /home ext3 nodev,nosuid 0 2

EDIT: This may make more sense if you read near the bottom http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

C.S.Cameron
October 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM
If you should have to reinstall, when you get to partitioning, select manual and then only select the root partition for formatting.
Installer should find the location of your home partition.

JazonEsti
October 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks! How about my bookmarks, contacts, etc? Will those be saved and automatically detected when I reinstall, or do I have to back up? Thanks!

Elviswind
October 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah, all your bookmarks, contacts, installed software config files are saved in subdirectories of /home, which, as you've mentioned, is in a separate partition and you will choose not to format that /home partition on reinstall.