PDA

View Full Version : Master Password Prompt

onno-itmaze
October 24th, 2008, 01:51 AM
This has been annoying me for some time and I've been unable to locate anyone else describing this problem - let alone a resolution. It is entirely possible that in the face of any lack of such evidence I'm looking for something that doesn't exist :(

This may look like a Firefox issue, but please read to the end before you conclude that :)

I am a registered ubuntu-forum user and Firefox has my account details stored in the password manager. If I log-in, all works as expected, I get a Master Password prompt, the login-page is filled in, I login and I show up as being logged in. All good.

However, if I have not logged in and I do a google search which leads me to a forum page, I load the page and I get prompted for my Master Password.

If I enter it, I still show up as not-authenticated.
If I don't enter it, the page shows up exactly the same.

ubuntu-forums is the only site I'm aware of that exhibits this kind of behavior and it is particularly annoying because all Firefox activity stops until I enter the password. I regularly have many Firefox windows open with many tabs - right now there are 13 windows open with a total of 57 tabs - and this is a light day (the day is still young :)

So, why am I being prompted for my Master Password and why do I not show up as authenticated after I provide it?

Is there any particular web-page object, a picture, a style sheet, an external script, something, that requires authentication that is resulting in a browser authentication request?

FuturePilot
October 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM
When this occurs check the url. Is it a "something.ubuntuforums.org" address? If so then this would be normal, since these forums accept anything in front and just redirect it. You can't login to those redirects.

onno-itmaze
October 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
No, unfortunately that was not the case, the latest URL was:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=774745