PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid Ibex Beta - Auto Upgraded on 30th?

joey-elijah
October 23rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Totally the wrong place i'm sure, but i can't find the "beta" area. :-$

Will 8.10 Beta be auto-upgraded on the 30th or will we have to do a fresh install?

I hope it's the former seeing as i couldn't wait any longer and upgraded to 8.10 yesterday... eeeeek!

EDIT: And so i found the correct section. Sorries.

wipeout140
October 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
If your using any versions pre-final 8.10 e.g. alpha,beta,RC, it will update to 8.10 final through the updates

joey-elijah
October 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
ahh awesome, that's what i wanted to know.

Dragonbite
October 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
In Synaptic there is an option for upgrades to next "LTS Release" or "General Release" ( or not automatically). Will this do it from 8.04 LTS to 8.10?

OrangeCrate
October 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
In Synaptic there is an option for upgrades to next "LTS Release" or "General Release" ( or not automatically). Will this do it from 8.04 LTS to 8.10?

In "Software Sources" (or, you can access through Synaptic > Preferences > Repositories will get you to the same place), under "Updates", change "Release upgrade" from "Long term support releases" to "Normal releases".

Then, when Intrepid is final, Update Manager will notify you in a box at the top of it's dialog, that a new distribution release is available.

If you don't change that, it won't tell you anything. It will stay as an LTS version.

Dragonbite
October 24th, 2008, 01:26 AM
In "Software Sources" (or, you can access through Synaptic > Preferences > Repositories will get you to the same place), under "Updates", change "Release upgrade" from "Long term support releases" to "Normal releases".

Then, when Intrepid is final, Update Manager will notify you in a box at the top of it's dialog, that a new distribution release is available.

If you don't change that, it won't tell you anything. It will stay as an LTS version.

That's what I was hoping for. So I best make sure i have everything backed up beforehand, just in case I jump before thinking ;)

brigadoon
October 24th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I upgraded from an earlier version of Ubuntu to the 8.04 release. A major update over a week ago obliterated my system. Each time I attempted to log on the system would lock up. I couldn't recover using system utilities.

I believe what happened was related to an upgrade work around. Some users couldn't upgrade some packages because some gcc files were missing. I was one of those users. The workaround detailed how to create the files from data in another location. The last upgrade needed the real files. Some of the error messages I received in recovery mode make me believe this was the case.

I back up on a regular basis so I wasn't too troubled by the conflict. A fresh install of 8.04 worked fine. My system actually ran much faster with the fresh install. My wireless signal reception was also up by 25%.

I plan on doing a clean install to 8.1 when its available. My laptop is older so its probably worth it.