PDA

View Full Version : Companies that switch TO Windows

DrMega
October 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
This is a genuine question, so please read it properly before starting the flaming.

We occassionally hear about companies, public service entities, political groups etc switching from Windows to Linux for various reasons.

This got me wondering. Has anyone ever heard of a company that WAS using Linux or something else, that switched to Windows? There must be some, but I can't find any references to any on the net. I just think it would be useful to know, so that we can build up a better picture of Linux's progress in the marketplace.

Canis familiaris
October 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Well Microsoft market their Servers in a some "Reliable Times" kind of ad where they mention companies switching to Windows Servers from Linux. Assuming they are not lying or manipulating I think those companies might be the examples.

Sealbhach
October 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
This got me wondering. Has anyone ever heard of a company that WAS using Linux or something else, that switched to Windows? .

You'd probably find case studies like this on the Microsoft website.

MasterNetra
October 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
If you have a hard time finding such cases then its probably not a common thing. :p

Dragonbite
October 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
If you have a hard time finding such cases then its probably not a common thing. :p

Not necessarily. It also isn't such big news of somebody moving to Windows as those moving to Linux.

And news and bloggers go for the "shock" value, not for anything educatonal.

The Microsoft website should have something.

I do remember when there was a slew of articles about "XYZ company moves to Linux" there were a few talking about companies moving to Windows but both of those subjects have really lost people's interest.

For Linux, it's up to the distribution that wins to blow their own horn. Like Red Hat just had a press release about getting a big contract, and then there was Wikimedia using Ubuntu.