PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is it worth it to upgrade and loose lts?

Flynn555
October 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
im running 8.04 right now...should i even bother upgrading to 8.10 considering hardy is lts???

expatCM
October 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Yes, why not?

I guess why not would be if you are going to use 8.04 for as long as you get lts which is three years .... but if you are thinking of staying abreast of things then upgrade ....

Upgrading is no more than following the prompts on screen so the process is very straight forward ....

cjchand
October 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Upgrading is no more than following the prompts on screen so the process is very straight forward ....

Not trying to pick a fight, but my upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid failed miserably. So, YMMV, Caveat Emptor, Backup early and often, etc.

That said, it did force me to create separate root and home partitions, which means less catastrophe should future upgrades fail. Of course, I plan on doing them all as fresh installs, anyway.

Cheers,
CJC

Rocktman2
October 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Not trying to pick a fight, but my upgrade (snip)

Also not trying to pick a fight, but my on-line upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 did not go well. I was left with 2 inoperative NICs (hence, no Internet). No forum had any solution for it, so I was kinda forced to start from scratch by removing all the Linux partitions (the Live CD install failed with the original Ubuntu partitions in place) & installing from scratch. Luckily I didn't have anything I needed from the old version.

Prior to that, I'd had no problems updating in place from 6.06-7.10. Go figure.

mikewhatever
October 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
im running 8.04 right now...should i even bother upgrading to 8.10 considering hardy is lts???

It depends. Is there a compelling reason to upgrade?

Herman
October 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
:) I highly recommend not upgrading, (or at least waiting a while before doing so).

Instead, consider installing Intrepid Ibex beside your Hardy Heron installation if you have enough hard disk space. An extra 3 to 5 or more GB would be required, (minumum 2.0 GB).

You always need to keep up to date backups of your data in some other media, and you should update your backup before using any partition editing program on your hard disk.

By installing Intrepid Ibex beside Hardy Heron you will be able to try it out first and see for yourself before you commit yourself.
The Intrepid Ibex installer will detect Hardy Heron and any other operating systems you may already have and add them to your new GRUB menu.

You can use the same separate /home for both installations if you want to.

Intrepid Ibex has some nice new features that Hardy Heron doesn't have.
I like addition of file system labeling in Intrepid's Partition Editor. Now we can set file system labels from the GUI instead of needing to use the command line, and anyone can set labels easily in partitions and USB devices. They'll be mounted under the labels we set, which is very nice and convenient.

As far as I know, kompozer still isn't working in Intrepid, but I expect that will be fixed by the time Intrepid is officially released or maybe a little while later. It doesn't matter to me because I still have Hardy Heron to use for website editing.
I wasn't able to use the new GIMP, keyboard shortcuts didn't work for me when I tried it.

Others people will notice various other pros and cons in their favorite programs, but in general the latest release of Ubuntu is always better after a time than the earlier version, (of course).
Most of those little problems will be fixed in the flood of updates to be expected between now and the official release date, so anyone upgrading early, or installing beside for a sneak peek can expect Intrepid to use some of their internet bandwidth if they accept all their updates.

I have a computer with lots of large hard disks and not too much data, so I still have Gusty Gibbon and Feisty Fawn as well as Hardy Heron and Intrepid Ibex.
I also have Debian and OpenSuSe, and I have plenty of room for more OSes if I decide to try out anything else just for fun. :)

Flynn555
October 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Also not trying to pick a fight, but my on-line upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 did not go well. I was left with 2 inoperative NICs (hence, no Internet).

wow man...that same exact thing happened to me while upgrading to 8.04. i was forced to do a clean install from dvd. which now i am glad i did...there is nothing like a clean install...and it only took a few hours to set my machine up back like i had it.

i think i will wait a couple of months before i upgrade...(if i do) because i didn't even upgrade to hardy until maybe a few months ago.

Instead, consider installing Intrepid Ibex beside your Hardy Heron installation if you have enough hard disk space. An extra 3 to 5 or more GB would be required, (minumum 2.0 GB).

hmmm i never thought of doing that...when duel booting came to my mind i always thought about having a windows partition never another ubuntu.
i might take that into consideration. that way i can see if i like the new features/see how my favorite programs run differently, without completely committing to a new os. :D

fcorourke
October 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I could be interested in this as well, I removed 8.04 when I could only make my mouse & other basic things work partway. I mistakenly thought a newer edition would fix old problems.

Fred