PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu won't load after upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 (Kernel panic)

FLyzoola
October 23rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Well earlier today I upgraded from 7.04 (Jesus, was I outdated) to 7.10. I left the upgrade running over night and when I woke up, I assumed it was done (since it had been 8 hours). So I restarted my computer, and after it starts to load ubuntu, I get the following error:

12.090335 kernel panic- not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block (0,0)

So I think to myself "what the?" So I re-start the PC again, and pick and chose from the other start-ups, but only one sort of works... it sends me to my loginmanager, and after I log in, it doesn't really take me to my desktop, the screen just changes to a background color and I can see my mouse cursor, but nothing loads.

My computer is ooooooooold and my CD drive wont open :/ I'm sure it still reads, but it won't open, so using the live CD might be a bit of a problem... I'm also a total ubuntu n00b. I don't know how else I can fix this, and I had a lot of important files on that computer.

Anybody know how to fix it? Thank you!