PDA

View Full Version : Henry's Damn Ubuntu Review

nebyah
November 27th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Greetings Ubuntites. I have been instructed by the Forum masters to post here. (" Hello nebyah,
Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our Community Chat forum.")

I'm a Debian user, though I've experimented with earlier version of Ubuntu and KUbuntu, and am just starting to take a look at 5.10 now. The first version was the best, because of the nude wallpapers, and GDM splash. :)

Yesterday I wrote a review of the latest Damn Small linux (http://henrytheadequate.blogspot.com/2005/11/henrys-damn-small-review.html)

In another day or two (or three) I expect to post a review of Ubuntu 5.10 - well part one anyway.

... and that's about all from me... unless the Forum Masters want me to say anything else...

cu
Ben

nebyah
November 27th, 2005, 07:37 AM
PS I have discovered a serious bug in the Ubuntu distribution process:
http://benhay.blogspot.com/2005/11/damn-you-ubuntu.html

nebyah
November 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM
What, not so much as a "Yeah, thanks for coming, now sod off" :)
Weren't you ubuntites supposed to be known for your friendliness and your love of all humanity, even me?

No wonder you guys aren't known for your sense of humour. But wait, what's with "Breezy Badger"? Is that some kind of subtle fart joke? Because subtlety is kinda lost on me. And as for "Dapper Drake" well that's clearly based on that guy from that cartoon, so maybe I'm all turned around on the whole "Ubuntites have no sense of humour" thing.

benplaut
November 27th, 2005, 10:07 PM
What, not so much as a "Yeah, thanks for coming, now sod off" :)
Weren't you ubuntites supposed to be known for your friendliness and your love of all humanity, even me?

No wonder you guys aren't known for your sense of humour. But wait, what's with "Breezy Badger"? Is that some kind of subtle fart joke? Because subtlety is kinda lost on me. And as for "Dapper Drake" well that's clearly based on that guy from that cartoon, so maybe I'm all turned around on the whole "Ubuntites have no sense of humour" thing.

OK, now sod off :rolleyes:

Anyway, welcome, have a nice time... people have been ignoring these intro posts, but the welcome commitee still stands! :KS

ssam
November 27th, 2005, 10:12 PM
those are quite good. not sure how i missed them before.

KiwiNZ
November 27th, 2005, 10:26 PM
hmmm OK greetings

Swab
November 27th, 2005, 10:30 PM
DSL 2 is out? Nice review!

artnay
November 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM
PS I have discovered a serious bug in the Ubuntu distribution process:
http://benhay.blogspot.com/2005/11/damn-you-ubuntu.html

This one is pretty easy to fix, just click here (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/donations/document_view) and read on.

nebyah
November 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Why thanks folks. Now I feel all loved and stuff.
And thanks benplaut for eating my brain - it's a huge relief to be rid of that, I can tell you.

poofyhairguy
November 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM

Sorry, I'm working on building a new desktop. But welcome, even if it is late.

benplaut
November 28th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Why thanks folks. Now I feel all loved and stuff.
And thanks benplaut for eating my brain - it's a huge relief to be rid of that, I can tell you.

tasted quite good, thanks!

(if you have no clue what we're talking about, click the link in my sig)

nebyah
November 28th, 2005, 12:34 AM
BTW I still get this: " Hello nebyah,
Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our Community Chat forum."

Bug or feature?

tomwell
November 28th, 2005, 12:47 AM
The Robot League of Chaos nearly got me!!

But am glad you managed to put that Cd in your drive...

Peace

Hippy Dude! ;o)

Dr. Nick
November 28th, 2005, 01:17 AM
BTW I still get this: " Hello nebyah,
Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our Community Chat forum."

Bug or feature?

Welcome,
Its probably still saying that since your post count is "0" Only time post "Count" is when its in a support forum, community chat post do not count toward the post count

Guess its a bug and a feature :) keeps spamming post count down but also leads to that message

nebyah
November 28th, 2005, 01:45 AM
tomwell:
Thanks Hippy dude. And sorry about the next review, in which I beat you senseless for a bit.

Here's a preview:
Some long-haired hippie type comes up to me in the street and says "Ubuntu, man."

"Yeah, well, up yours too!" I respond. Jeez agressive people really are the pits.

"No, man, Ubuntu!" He hands me a CD. He must be a foreigner. Probably a spy...

Dr Nick:
Well that explains it. Thanks.
Also, since you're a doctor, I have this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side. Can you help me with that?

Dr. Nick
November 28th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Heh, Contact a qualified medical doctor :) I am a fictional doctor from a TV show who no one should trust for anything. My avatar is a picure taken of me during Med School, How much do you think I learned :) I have been quoted as saying

"The gloves came free with my toilet brush."

"If you want to have an exclusive surgery with me, Dr. Nick Riviera, dial 1-800-DOCTORB. Note the extra B is for BARGAIN"

My best guess would be that the voltage is wrong

majikstreet
November 28th, 2005, 01:55 AM
dsl 2 is out?!?!?!

Iandefor
November 28th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Gosh, let's take a moment and thank the mysterious hippy who died giving Henry the Adequate the wonders of DSL.
Lol, pretty funny review. And to think, I've been inserting CD's into my drive the dumb way...

nebyah
November 28th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Dr Nick: Thanks for the advice. Voltage, yeah.

Magickstreet: According to Distrowatch DSL 2 came out on the 22nd. http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=damnsmall

Iandefor: Thanks. A lot of people make that mistake. Actually I was going to try melting the CD down and pouring it through the slot, but that would be silly.

tomwell
November 28th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Nebyah,

As soon as you realise beyond no doubt that the "hippy dude" is a spy he "KINDLY" informs you:

Man dont do it, we have had extensive self defence training at the academy we can resolve this in a non-violent way just chill!!! And come over here i have just made some "green" tea i want to tell you about the consiracy to rid the world of windows... Yes you heard me only Doors from now on... ;o)

Iandefor,
Am not dead!!!

Peace

Tom

ps: Jack daniels is talking be nice...!!

Iandefor
November 28th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Iandefor,
Am not dead!!!

GASP! You're not?! You're trickier than I had anticipated, Mysterious Hippy/Tom!

nebyah
November 28th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Man that's good. :)
But it's not a conspiracy, it's a revolution. I can just see the protestors now - marching elbow to elbow with their groovy plackards held high and their chanting, always chanting, "Down with Windows, Up with Doors! Down with Windows, Up with Doors"

tomwell
November 28th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Nebyah, Iandefor, You guys are both making my Drunken state a lot more amusing!!!

Peace to both of You!!!

Man Life is great!!!!

Tom

tomwell
November 28th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Oh i forgot:

Down with windows!!! Up with Doors!!! (they have locks and are much safer!!!)

Peace

Tom

nebyah
November 28th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Tom you're a gentleman and a scholar, albeit a drunken one. Who else would put up with being beaten, abused, and allegedly killed, yet still spread the good word of Doors so selflessly.

Down with Windows.

tomwell
November 28th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Tom you're a gentleman and a scholar, albeit a drunken one. Who else would put up with being beaten, abused, and allegedly killed, yet still spread the good word of windows so selflessly.

Down with DOORS.

Eerrrrrrrrrrr??? Wouldnt his name be Bill???

LMAO!!!

http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

Just been readng that above and man do i want to kill mr "Gates" and repalce his whole damn empire with "doors" more "doors" and even more "doors" !!!!!!

Peace

Tom

nebyah
November 28th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Hey I never said that! You twister of words, you.

Trusted Computing. If there ever was a misnomer... Anyway surely you're not allowed to say Kill Bill here, otherwise some loony might just go out and do it (or at least throw a pie in his face).

PS I am the walrus. Goo goo ga jube.

tomwell
November 28th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Anyway surely you're not allowed to say Kill Bill here, otherwise some loony might just go out and do it (or at least throw a pie in his face).

Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill, Kill Bill,

Now what did you think about:

Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 2,

I personally think they are both great Movies!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO!!!

Peace

Tom

nebyah
November 28th, 2005, 05:12 AM
:)
I didn't see either of them. Thanks to the internet I no longer have the attention span to sit through a whole movie.

tomwell
November 28th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Mr Jack saying i Have no idea what to respond....LMAO

Sorry if i spoiled the movies for ya... lol

tomwell
November 28th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Oh and now 8 minutes later...lol

Peace

Tom

nebyah
November 28th, 2005, 05:45 AM
"I have no response to that."