PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing dual-boot with Vista

yohsei
October 23rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm trying to install a dual-boot with windows vista and ubuntu (8.04), ubuntu installed first. I already succeeded doing this with another machine with vista installed first.

To make this work I had to use the vista installation DVD, and being too lazy to search/ask for it I decided to download an .iso file and burn it. However, I can't get the machine to boot on the DVD. (also tried pressing [esc] right after starting PC and selecting to boot from cd/dvd drive) I'm pretty n00b in this area, but maybe it is because the DVD is not burned as bootable?
Then I tried to install vista from within ubuntu, (for the slight chance that it might work) but it moans that it needs 405 MB on any partition to install. Writing this I thought it might work on my external HDD, but that failed too.

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I move my lazy butt and search the original disk?

EDIT: I could also try installing Win XP first (did find that disk) and install Vista from within there... Maybe I'll try that.

yohsei
October 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Installing XP first worked. Now I just have to edit the GRUB so Vista dual-boots with Ubuntu. :)

Sorry to have bothered you all. ^__^