or just login as root

it is not recommended to run as root

Hexagoon
October 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
You have to edit the sudoers file, launch

visudo

and change your user line to

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:/bin/whatever

then you will be able to use sudo without password, you still have to enter the command sudo though.

Hexagoon
October 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
sudo su

or just login as root

it is not recommended to run as root

sudo su will still ask for password, and it is not possible (by default) to login with root user account in ubuntu.

hermes0710
October 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Besides, it is not safe to do something like this...

kilroy423
October 23rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
sudo su will still ask for password

yah....but it will only ask you once...

hyper_ch
October 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
sudo -i will ask only once also... so you should use that.

Christmas
October 23rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Running as root can have grave consequences on your system and you can eventually end up either hacked or with an unusable system. Any script with some mistakes in it can ruin your entire system, like running the remove command as root on an essential directory, like /usr/bin etc. And trust me, even in well-tested scripts errors may slip. Example:

cd /path/to/dir
rm *

If /path/to/dir doesn't exist, all the files in the current directory will be removed. Linux is built in a way which allows you to perform only system-wide configuration tasks as root (like installing packages using APT), but I strongly advise against running as root.

If you however, decided to experiment, I think what Hexagoon recommended will work (never tried, only heard of it before), but you'll need to run visudo as sudo visudo and replace username with your user and /bin/whatever with /bin/bash.

I also recommend reading about security on Linux, and you can start here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo).

Hexagoon
October 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
If you however, decided to experiment, I think what Hexagoon recommended will work (never tried, only heard of it before), but you'll need to run visudo as sudo visudo and replace username with your user and /bin/whatever with /bin/bash.

I agree on that, i've tried it too, but in previous versions of ubuntu. Not on 8.04(/8.10) that's current now.

overdrank
October 23rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
Forums policy on root

Tutorials explaining how to enable the root account for a graphical login or autologin will not be supported on the forums and will be moved to the Jail. Although we believe people should have the freedom to run their computers however they want, we also believe in supporting Ubuntu's security model. You can find or post information elsewhere on the internet regarding graphical Ubuntu root logins; such tutorials do not have to be hosted on the Ubuntu Forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765414

Thread closed as answer.