PDA

View Full Version : I may have jumped the gun

wolfen69
October 23rd, 2008, 04:05 AM
I recently posted that i was having problems with hardy totally locking up and firefox crashing often. i therefore tried gutsy for a couple days before the same thing happened. (when ubuntu in the past has worked perfect) :-k OK. i decide to go with mandriva to see what happens. no real problems. it actually works quite well for me. but the one thing i didn't try in ubuntu, was updating my BIOS. but i had this nagging suspicion that something wasn't quite right with the hardware and decided to update the bios and reinstall ubuntu. well, i think i may have found the source of at least some of the issue. let's face it, if the foundation isn't strong, how good will the house hold up?

long story short, my computer boots alot quicker since the bios update and seems very smooth now. it's only been 1 day, but things just feel different. anyway, i think it's a lesson learned that sometimes it's not always the software's fault. i think people are too quick to blame the software when, very easily, there could be a slight hardware malfunction. hardware in general, can be very flaky as i've learned. i think people should keep this in mind. besides, how many people can guarantee that their hardware is 100% perfect?

i hope everyone has a great night. peace.

TwiceOver
October 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM
Heh... Insert story of "Ubuntu 10.10 "Negative Nelly Edition"" I still have similar problems even after installing XP and trying various firmwares. All in all everything works decently except Firefox/Flash. Hopefully Jaunty ******* will be a more rounded adventure.

Keep up the good work, after all... It is free!

wolfen69
October 23rd, 2008, 04:16 AM
the funny thing was, is that gutsy worked perfect before i tried hardy. (hardy was good also until 3 weeks ago) it had to be a slight bios corruption or something. my hardware has remained the same.

on a side note, i had to boot into windows earlier (on a spare drive) to do the bios update. (didn't have a floppy drive within reach) and i was actually scared to go online. i opened IE and was promptly greeted with a pop-up. yay. "hey windows, how's it going?" i mainly fix windows pc's, i don't "use" them. it's strictly a money thing.