PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu repo

jrecortel
October 23rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
hello.i would like to ask about ubuntu's repo.i read that ubuntu hardy will get a 3 years support for desktop.since im using hardy on my laptop and desktop,i would like to know what will happen after the 3 years support elapse?will only the security fixes will stop or i can no longer download something from hardy's repo?thanks in advance.

cariboo
October 23rd, 2008, 04:10 AM
Three years from now if things keep on going as they have, version 11.10 will be just about out, I'm sure there will something that you just have to have with that release :)

Jim

jrecortel
October 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
thank for the reply cariboo907.sure, i will upgrade my ubuntu when the next LTS release comes out.:)
my question is just to satisfy my curiosity on what will happen to the repo of obsolete ubuntu releases.

DGortze380
October 23rd, 2008, 04:23 AM
thank for the reply cariboo907.sure, i will upgrade my ubuntu when the next LTS release comes out.:)
my question is just to satisfy my curiosity on what will happen to the repo of obsolete ubuntu releases.

As I understand it ( and I may be totally wrong, please correct if I am ), the repo will remain accessible for a period of time, but no further updates will be released.

hyper_ch
October 23rd, 2008, 05:51 AM
there is even a 5-year server support for the lts version and that means there will still be security fixes provided.

k3lt01
October 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
The repos get moved from archive.ubuntu.com to old.releases.ubuntu.com after the relevant version reaches End-Of-Life status. They can still be downloaded from there if you change your sources.list file to point to that source the only things is after the repo is placed in old.releases.ubuntu.com there are no updates.