PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A good tut for Hardy Heron tweaking

Lakeside
October 23rd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Ok, I have two questions, if that`s ok. I somehow installed Hardy Heron (Ubuntu server edition) from a boot disc (I`m still amazed as I am the noobiest). I`m sure that before I can buy web space, and then just use this server to host my own website, I will have to do some tweaking and things to it first, but I have no clue. I`ve seen a few tuts out there, but could someone tell me for sure, which one is something I definately should do, as I don`t know if all of it is absolutely necessary.. I just want a secure server and to host a few sites. I`m also wondering, if I can just use this server locally, for development, (see how it looks and acts) before I actually put my site `out there` I actually had another question, but I`ll stop here... thanks in advance ;)

cariboo
October 23rd, 2008, 04:22 AM
This is a tutorial on how to set the server up, seeing as you are part way there this should help you finish it up:

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts

If you have any other question, it would be best to ask them here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=339

As there a lot of pretty smart people that only answer questions there.

Jim

hyper_ch
October 23rd, 2008, 05:50 AM
if you run your own webserver you don't need to buy webspace :)

k3lt01
October 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
if you run your own webserver you don't need to buy webspace :)

Just to add to hyper_ch's post even though you don't have to buy webspace, assuming your running you site on your own server, you do have to purchase the relevant site name.

rlzyoner
October 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
The performance will depend on your bandwidth.
For example, it would not be the greatest to host your website on a low bandwidth dsl line.
Though all should be good to go if you're doing this for testing / learning purposes

Peace

hyper_ch
October 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Just to add to hyper_ch's post even though you don't have to buy webspace, assuming your running you site on your own server, you do have to purchase the relevant site name.

not necessarily, you can use a dyn ip service like www.no-ip.com or www.dyndns.org

k3lt01
October 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
not necessarily, you can use a dyn ip service like www.no-ip.com or www.dyndns.org
Yes you are correct, but someone doing this as a semi serious venture would probably want their own.

H.Callahan
October 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
Yes you are correct, but someone doing this as a semi serious venture would probably want their own.

Plus you can get them for under $10USD a year. Even if you aren't semi-serious, they are cheap and more fun, anyway.

Lakeside
October 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Great advice everyone. Yes, my isp does give out some free space with my account, and I had forgotten about the `no-ip` site with free domain site. Thanks for the links Cariboo907 :) Eventually I will be buying more space and registering a domain, hosting a few sites for local small business and shopping carts..for now I have lots to learn!