PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sequel to upgrading accident

Thrasyllus
October 23rd, 2008, 03:32 AM
I upgraded to 7.10 last Saturday - I know, I left it to the last moment - and the files all downloaded without incident. Then came the installation/configuration phase and in the middle of that there was a two-minute POWER FAILURE (damn Hydro-Québec!) When I rebooted the system was a bit stilted - half Feisty, half Gutsy - but it was working.

So as root I did apt-get update followed by dpkg --configure -a and rebooted. The system did some more configuring on its own initiative after I logged in and everything seemed fine.

But then I got my first update notification as a 7.10 user - some time zone stuff (tzdata version 2008g-0ubuntu0.7.10 to 2008h-0ubuntu0.7.10). After clicking on the update button and watching what seemed like a normal download, I got the following messages:

E: acpid: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: acpi-support: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: powermanagement-interface: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: ubuntu-desktop: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Is this a consequence of my accident? Did I omit something when recovering and continuing the installation process? What to do?

I also get error messages I never saw before whenever I use evince - cairo context error: NULL pointer repeated four times. Other than that, evince works normally.

cariboo
October 23rd, 2008, 06:17 AM
Try:

sudo apt-get install -f

This might fix the problem.

As for your problem Hydro Quebec, there not much you can do about that, except purchase an inexpensive ups.

Jim

Thrasyllus
October 23rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thank you Cariboo! Williams Lake BC, I presume. Axel

PS - I should add thanks to Linux - can you imagine installing Windows through a power failure?

jalirious
November 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Seems that the evince bug is inherent. No printing and a repeated

Cairo context error: NULL pointer

error following the last evince update.