PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] X Server Screen Area Problem

camoanimal
October 23rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
OK everyone, here is the deal. I have any HP laptop with a screen resolution of 1280x800 @ 60 Hz. Today I tried EnvyNG at installing the latest drivers for my videocard (NVidia 7400) and after rebooting the X server crashed leaving me to restart my system again. Apon restarting my computer into Ubuntu my GDM screen was over inflated to be off the screen. I could only see the top left corner of the login panel. I logged in and went to adjust the screen resolution assuming the most likely being that the screen resolution was too high and X overcompensated (or something to that effect). But it was set at 1280x800 @ 50 Hz and my desktop too was inflated so that about 45% was out of the range of my screen. How would I go about fixing this problem? I have already checked the Xorg.conf file and everything is set to the native resolution of 1280x800.

Help please :)

kilroy423
October 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
I had a similar problem with my laptop. It detected as 800x600 on boot. I went to a vty and ran

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

stevand
October 26th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,
I have a problem of a similar type. Namely, some of my applications do not work. I can run Paraview, Tetview and other similar applications. However, these applications give a picture only when I click on the mouse on the figure and move it through the GUI. I have not had this problem with Ubuntu 6.0 . My card is ATI Radeon X600, and I am using this accelerated drives for 2D and 3 D. Is this problem? or how to find what is wrong?
thanks a lot
steve

tabarraei
November 3rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hi Guys,

I have the same serious problem, I had ubuntu 7.10 and I did not update to ubuntu 8.04, because I experienced many problems with it. Then I heard that in the new release of 8.10 many bugs are fixed. So I updated into it. Now I have the most serious problems with this release. I really don't want to format my hard drive to go back to a lower version. so please help.

My problem is that my system after being upgraded into 8.10 the screen resolution fell on 800*600. everything is huge and I did not found a useful help on the Internet. would please help me if your problem was resolved. I tried the above solutions. did not work. disappointed.
my graphical card is : VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

thanks
HR.T