PDA

View Full Version : a new cell phone

jimi_hendrix
October 23rd, 2008, 02:33 AM
so my plan is almost up and its time for a new cell phone...only thing is i dont know what i should get any suggestions?

in the past ive only used verizon but im happy with any major US provider

I-75
October 23rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
so my plan is almost up and its time for a new cell phone...only thing is i dont know what i should get any suggestions?

in the past ive only used verizon but im happy with any major US provider

I use Verizon, before that I had Sprint. Sprint turned out to be fairly good, the coverage in the sticks was amazingly good (sprint roams on other networks with no issues) and the the free roaming plan was good. We went to Verizon, because their roaming coverage a bit better and works great in the sticks and had some better features than Sprint. Both Verizon and Sprint had no billing issues. Verizon and Sprint still offer tri mode phones when I last looked.

We had Cingular (now at&t), and for months on end they screwed up the bill, got charged for roaming in what should have been a extended included area. Their service barely worked in our house despite the cell tower being only 2 miles away. We dumped them as soon as our contract was up.

I believe this service now uses GSM only for the newer phones and in my past experience GSM wasn't all that reliable as Verizon's and Sprint's CDMA.

I know GSM is popular everywhere else like in Europe. I still think analog is superior than digital as it can reach out farther...but the building of new cell towers out even in the boonies has made digital cell phone service about on par now.

Ask Verizon what kind of deal they can offer to you, it might be worth staying with them another two years.

steveneddy
October 23rd, 2008, 02:51 AM
I need a Blackberry but can't afford it at the moment.

DeadSuperHero
October 23rd, 2008, 03:54 AM
You know, the G1 came out today. It's got T-Mobile, but I'm sure with some coding you could get it on Verizon's network.

I can't wait for an Android phone.

zachtib
October 23rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
You know, the G1 came out today. It's got T-Mobile, but I'm sure with some coding you could get it on Verizon's network.

I can't wait for an Android phone.

No, it's GSM, so you'd only be able to get it onto AT&T, and even then, you;d lose the 3G functionality.

I'm waiting for Sprint's Android phone, then I'll jump on one (should be Q1 or Q2 next year)

jimi_hendrix
October 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
any know how the iPhone is because the price dropped witht he 3g...

kernelhaxor
October 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
you;d lose the 3G functionality.

out of curiosity, why so?

alwez_loner_TZ
October 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
I think these days it's complicated to buy a phone. It depends on the features you require to come with it.

So you get to buy a phone with the features you want to work with.

chucky chuckaluck
October 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
android appeals to me. if only i could get a phone that doesn't pick up incoming calls.