PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage your bookmarks?

adamogardner
October 22nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
I have many, in my firefox browser and have many more yet to come. I have the all in one sidebar add-on and am creating deep file trees but is there a way to use tags? How do you with many bookmarks handle the bulk?

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 11:58 PM
I just simply make directories, sub-directories, and put my most visited sites in the bookmarks toolbar.

adamogardner
October 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
I just simply make directories, sub-directories, and put my most visited sites in the bookmarks toolbar.

do you mean directories in your file system?! can you please explain a little more. or do you mean the files in the bookmark feature of [firefox]? Thats what I do but in the all-in-one sidebar it's pretty convenient except that sometimes after I create a new file and try to place a bookmark into it the browser crashes. But then it works fine once I open it up again.
I kinda hate that bookmarks toolbar. Maybe I should give it another try aye?

Grant A.
October 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
I make the directories in Firefox. What purpose would I have for them in my home folder?

adamogardner
October 23rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
I make the directories in Firefox. What purpose would I have for them in my home folder?

none at all, no duh. it's just that linux uses the term directory, but in firefox you create a new folder. I was concerned you were on to something unprecedented being somewhat new to the world of computers.

earthpigg
October 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
How do you manage your bookmarks?

i dont, really.

i let them build up, and then when there are to many i cull the herd.

Grant A.
October 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
none at all, no duh. it's just that linux uses the term directory, but in firefox you create a new folder. I was concerned you were on to something unprecedented being somewhat new to the world of computers.

Welcome to Linux. ;)

ZankerH
October 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
I keep a large "links" folder on the Firefox' bookmarks toolbar. When there's so many items on it that I have to scroll through the menu when I'm running Firefox on fulscreen in 1600*1200, I delete the ones I don't need anymore. Rinse and repeat.

Sealbhach
October 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
i let them build up, and then when there are to many i cull the herd.

Same here, I start pruning when it gets too much. I don't think it's practical to have scores of bookmarks. I also try to share the burden with Liferea (RSS reader).

Ms_Angel_D
October 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
I have categories on my bookmarks toolbar folder, and all my links are organized into them (ie...Banking & Bills, Computers, Downloads, Game Stuff...etc..etc...etc.) I use the foxmarks plugin (http://www.foxmarks.com) to keep them synced and backed up. Works pretty well for me.

bruce89
October 23rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Epiphany with 32 well-chosen topics. You don't know simplicity until you use Epiphany's bookmark system.

That was a party political broadcast for the GNOME party.

handy
October 23rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
I currently have around eight hundred Bookmarks, I organise them into directory trees.

Using Foxmarks (http://www.foxmarks.com/) has made my life so much easier, all of the OS's & distro's I use on my two computers use the same identical Bookmarks which are automatically synchronised by Foxmarks. :-)

Before Foxmarks the process I used was after a regular tidy up of my Bookmarks I'd email myself a copy & then download & install it onto the other systems the next time they were in use. Quite clumsy really.

Bölvağur
October 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM
I use tags, only have 4 links on toolbar.

y-lee
October 23rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
Foxmarks, delicious, liferea and some I save locally as a HTML file and some in tomboy notes. Overall I have a ridiculous number of bookmarks :)

brunovecchi
October 23rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
I let Gnome-Do's Firefox plugin manage them. Whenever I want to go to a bookmarked web site, I just start typing the web's name (e.g., Ubuntu Forums) and it magically pops up.