PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Making the switch!

Jerr
October 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hello everyone, I am thinking about making the switch over from Windows to Ubuntu! It is a very exciting time for me as I learn new skills and tools and expand my knowledge pertaining to computers.

What are some tips and advice you can offer me to help aide me in the switch?

A few questions I might have;

Should I download my drivers ahead of time, Video, Network Card, Sound?

Also, what should I do about gaming? Will I need to use Wine in order to game or does Linux support gaming?

Shall I grab the 64 bit or 32 bit version? I have 64 bit dual core proc's, yet I game alot so I was wondering if I would be in a dead end grabbing the 64 bit.

Thanks alot for any help!

DGortze380
October 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
What are some tips and advice you can offer me to help aide me in the switch?

Search and read. Don't get discouraged. It's counter intuitive at first, but really makes a ton of sense in the end.

Not a bad idea. Try the live cd first to see if you even need to change any drivers.

Also, what should I do about gaming? Will I need to use Wine in order to game or does Linux support gaming?

If you're a gamer, dual boot.

Shall I grab the 64 bit or 32 bit version? I have 64 bit dual core proc's, yet I game alot so I was wondering if I would be in a dead end grabbing the 64 bit.

Up to you. If you want/need flash 32 bit will be slightly more functional.

Blackdragon1400
October 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Yes, indeed if you are a gamer (like myself) dual boot. It will save you alot of effort and will save you from some frustration. Just tough out the slowness of windows...

Jerr
October 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I'm trying to push myself to use linux more and more, rather than dual boot, how could I run games on linux?

billgoldberg
October 22nd, 2008, 11:56 PM

No.

They will be installed after installing Ubuntu (you'll be prompted for it on the top panel).

Wine might run some games and there are a few available for linux, but if you are a heavy gamer, dual boot.

Either will work, 32 bit should give you less problems.

--------

Other things, I suggest you bookmark my codecs guide (link in signature).

After that, make sure to do this:

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/flash-player-10-final/

----------

billgoldberg
October 22nd, 2008, 11:58 PM
I'm trying to push myself to use linux more and more, rather than dual boot, how could I run games on linux?

Using wine (or crossover, ...).

But again, those won't run all games. And most games have some kind of issue.

Games for Windows means games for windows, not Linux.

SteveNorman
October 23rd, 2008, 12:04 AM
I need (term used loosely) xp so I can play certain games. I use linux for absolutely everything else. Youll need to see if wine can run your games, so dual boot to start with just to make sure. Most people get lost and hose their linux desktop, or graphics, or internet, so its a good idea to have your windows up until you learn to configure things, if for nothing else to get on this forum to ask for help. Just dual boot for awhile then you can delete the windows partition later. I run fedora/ubuntu/xp on the same comp. Its not a problem if you have a large enough hard drive, which as a gamer im sure you do.

sam-c
October 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
I Suggest get a Book on the subject , the rest you can get Online.

kansasnoob
October 23rd, 2008, 12:40 AM
Since you mention 64 bit I'll bet we're talking Vista!

IMO for now stick with 32 bit (i386) Ubuntu and try a dual boot:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm?page=1

Only after trying the Live CD!

OutOfReach
October 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM

They will most likely be already included into Ubuntu.

Probably but a word of warning, Wine isn't completed yet there will be crashes and there will be bugs (unless you have one of those games that work perfectly with Wine).

You're choice, they'll both work on your processor. But I recommend 32-bit because 64-bit gives some problems to their users (installing Flash for example).

anaconda
October 23rd, 2008, 12:59 AM

One good way to run windows games in linux using wine is to
1. search the net for instructions how to run the game in wine
2. follow those instructions
3. and play the game...

4. also if you can't find ready-made instructions, you can try if it works by just installing it "normally" eg. inserting the CD and running setup.exe in wine ("wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe")

Trying to "hack" a game to work can be quite difficult (that is, other than installing the missing .dll files that trying to run the game will complain.. )

One other thing, is to install lots of linux games and play them.. There are lots of free games for linux nowadays..

Good luck,

MrWES
October 23rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
Personally, I think gaming via a console like a PS3 is definitely the way to go -- that is if you can afford one. My son has a PS3 and it was very impressive. I ran Mediatomb from my linux box and streamed all of our movies and music to the PS3.

Just my 2 cents.

+1 for running the live cd. Just download the cd iso file and burn it to a cd. Boot from that and play around with Ubuntu. It's a nice way to check out the OS without touching your current system, and it'll let you see if all you hardware works ok.

Bill

Jerr
October 23rd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Well I play WoW and steam.

I do not mind spending hours trouble shooting, its interesting and I enjoy learning new stuff.

I think I am going to use 64 Bit and Wine.

Thank's for all the help!

DGortze380
October 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Well I play WoW and steam.

I do not mind spending hours trouble shooting, its interesting and I enjoy learning new stuff.

I think I am going to use 64 Bit and Wine.

Thank's for all the help!

Good luck. You should be fine then if you don't mind putting the effort in to learn.

Unfortunately, it's not so much about trouble shooting wine. Certain gains are either currently supported or they're not. The ones that are will take some troubleshooting, the ones that aren't simple aren't going to work until wine adopts changes to make them work.

I believe WoW works on some version of wine. Definitely search that as it should be doable.

I remember hearing about problems with steam.

You may also want to look at Cedega. It's not free, but is cheap, open source, and has more support for a larger number of games than wine IMO.

Duck2006
October 23rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
I would dual boot to start with,