PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Black login screen and loading curser

madmaze
October 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I was messing around trying to install Buzztard and it kept failing, but after i rebooted i get the ubuntu loading screen and then when the loading screen should pop up its just black and i get a round loading curser.
i reinstalled gdm but no result...

any ideas?

madmaze
October 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
i went in and opened terminal then tried to start gdm again and got something like this:<br>

gdm[8938]: WARNING: GDM file gdm-daemon-config.c: line 2033 (): Cannot run seteuid to 0: Operation not permitted
GDM file gdm-daemon-config.c: line 2033 (): Cannot run seteuid to 0: Operation not permittedany ideas

madmaze
October 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
im giving up... i think i might just wait until Ibex comes out and then i can redo everything at once...

ITAndrew
October 27th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Have you ruled out hardware failure? Just curious because I have run into such issues. I would Rec. checking GPU uoutputs if you are getting a black screen. I have recent;y run into this with a failing GPU with a Dell laputar.

madmaze
October 27th, 2008, 05:53 AM
yes i have ruled that out... i dual boot with windows and ubuntu & backtrack live disks work fine

Bucky Ball
November 28th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Madmaze, did you ever solve this issue as I am having the same problem. :-k

matthewm27
December 19th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Agree with bucky ball. I also have this problem. I tried running gdm as a super user... and nodda. Can anyone help with this? Is there a system restore or anything???
Please help... I'm begging... I've had Ubuntu for about a month... got a million programs on it... got documents on it... and even kinda got it to look like a mac (not that I like macs... I just like the look).

PLEASE HELP!!!

matthewm27
December 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Bump