PDA

View Full Version : Project proposal: switching my University over to Ubuntu/Linux

myk02k
October 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
I'm working on a project proposal the whole semester. My proposed topic is to switch our university over to Ubuntu/Linux. I'd like some help and/or citations to support my proposal. The main supporting argument I have is to reduce spending on computer hardware and software by switching over to Linux. Some ideas I have are to poll the students and see how many actually use Windows/Mac software for anything else than Office and Firefox. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

userundefine
October 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Maybe look at why other countries like Germany and France have switched over in certain areas (schools, govt), the difficulties, costs associated, etc.

billgoldberg
October 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
I'm working on a project proposal the whole semester. My proposed topic is to switch our university over to Ubuntu/Linux. I'd like some help and/or citations to support my proposal. The main supporting argument I have is to reduce spending on computer hardware and software by switching over to Linux. Some ideas I have are to poll the students and see how many actually use Windows/Mac software for anything else than Office and Firefox. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, start sending mails to people who worked on switching loads of computers to Ubuntu.

Write a mail to google and ask them how it's working out for them.

Write one to archive.org, french police, ...

prshah
October 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
The main supporting argument I have is to reduce spending on computer hardware and software by switching over to Linux.

You should definitely highlight the "freedom" concept over the "'free'" concept.

GNU/Linux gives you the freedom to do what you like with "your" operating system; rip it, throw it, sell it, install it, reinstall it, copy it, distribute it, hack it, reverse engineer it, package it, customize it...

...all without worries of tripping over a little known / obscure clause in some EULA.

Given the fact that (practically) the only restriction is that you cannot restrict another person's freedom, this is an astonishing philosophy that you can highlight.

bruce64
October 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
One issue that will have to be addressed is the use of either Open Office or another open source office type application. Personally I feel that Open office is ready for prime time. Most users of Microsoft Office very seldom use these applications to the fullest however you should find someone to test the limits of the spreadsheet in Open Office. Make sure the formulas and macros have the same behavior etc. Presentation and Word Processor work as well as their counter parts Word and Powerpoint. Configuring network printers is a snap because you can set them up as IP printers. The other important issue is your University specific applications and how well they deal with Firefox and Ubuntu in general. You will certainly have to make close friends with your IT folks. Those are my two cents. At the school I work in, Peoplesoft works well with Firefox as well as our specific reporting tools.