PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Polls

richg
October 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Is there any Good reason for all the Polls? It seems that a lot of people are bored. Most of the Polls are a lot about nothing. Ok, I guess I see the reason, a lot of geeks.

Rich

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
What is the point of this thread?

There are some polls, but most threads do not have polls.

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Its so you can be Poll axed :razz:

They do have a poll a rising affect though:-#

chucky chuckaluck
October 22nd, 2008, 07:54 PM
i've never been a fan of polls. they seem to hinder conversation. i guess i'm under the impression that if someone has to write out their response, they're more inclined to give a bit of an explanation behind their thinking. polls strike me as consolidations of +1 collections.

Nano Geek
October 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Is there any Good reason for all the Posts? It seems that a lot of people are bored. Most of the Posts are a lot about nothing. Ok, I guess I see the reason, a lot of geeks.

;)

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
i've never been a fan of polls. they seem to hinder conversation. i guess i'm under the impression that if someone has to write out their response, they're more inclined to give a bit of an explanation behind their thinking. polls strike me as consolidations of +1 collections.

Not all threads are for conversation. Like a poll on "what continent do you live?". It makes little sense to have posts spread about with the information when there are only 8 choices (7 continents and "other").

Or if a person only wants a few choices examined, like a choice between some hardware.

chucky chuckaluck
October 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Not all threads are for conversation. Like a poll on "what continent do you live?". It makes little sense to have posts spread about with the information when there are only 8 choices (7 continents and "other").

i'm more likely to visit another forum before opening a thread like that (no offense to anyone's clump of soil intended). to elaborate on my previous point, i feel a thread that has the potential to be an interesting conversation, can get somewhat diluted by the presence of a poll. that's not my preference.

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
I tend to agree there has been a poll iferation of them of late

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
I tend to agree there has been a poll iferation of them of late

I think some poll thread stick around longer, looking at the first page of the Cafe, I see some of the polls are old (one is obsolete, mine on my language thread. I changed it to reflect my decision, because I am settled on Hindi).

Also, is it just me, or do you feel an urge to add a poll to this thread?

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
I was thinking we could have a seperate area for polls

It could be called Poll-land :)

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
I was thinking we could have a seperate area for polls

It could be called Poll-land :)

And we could have a separate forum for puns, we could call it "pun-ishment".

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
O give me a home where the Polls a free to roam
and the skys are surveyed all day

And seldom is heard
a skew or a word
and the quintiles are happy at play

pp.
October 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
The forum has become so infested with them, you'd have to call that a serious poll-ution problem.

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
The forum has become so infested with them, you'd have to call that a serious poll-ution problem.

Maybe we should get it cleaned and Pollished

FuturePilot
October 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Maybe we need a thread called "Request to reduce poll proliferation" like that one thread by LaRoza called "Request to reduce sticky proliferation" or something like that. :)

pp.
October 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Careful now. Since the OMGPP has been abolished we mustn't do pollitical threads.

smoker
October 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
the more the merrier :-)

(some of the jokes on this thread are a-poll-ing):lolflag:

koenn
October 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
I think what this thread needs is a poll.

something simple, like
Do you thing there are too many polls ?
A. Yes
B. No
C. Don't know
D. Don't care
E. C and D
F. Maybe
G. Other (explain)

brunovecchi
October 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Polls are fine. When made correctly, they can sum up a lot of people's take on a subject at a glance.

FuturePilot
October 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Hmmm

root 5954 0.0 0.0 3440 1160 ? S 09:04 0:10 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/scd0 (every 2 sec)

pp.
October 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Polls are fine. When made correctly, they can sum up a lot of people's take on a subject at a glance.

I agree. In some situations polls are vastly superior to interrupts.