PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] fglrx is crashing Xorg server

theluddite
October 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Hello all,
At least once a day Xorg restarts on its own for no consistent reason. The Citrix ICA client will crash it every time and I think npviewer is also one of the culprits. The problem started when I installed a second monitor with the "Big Desktop" method (I'm using the ATI binary driver). It's probably also relevant that I'm using Compiz, which I'd rather not do without. Is there anything I can do? I've attached my xorg.conf and output of dmesg.

theluddite
November 27th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Bueller?

r m h
December 13th, 2008, 04:52 AM
The problem may well be the fglrx proprietary drivers you have installed. I had big problems getting X to even run, let alone run stable until I removed the proprietary AMD/ATI FGLRX drivers.

Yeah, that means, I'm stuck with way less than optimal graphics - I'd like to run dual or quad monitors, plus Compiz advanced features, but until fglrx gets updated and fixed, I can't even install the proprietary fglrx drivers since X won't even run on my system when I 'upgrade' to them....

r m h
December 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM
After lots of research on my own fglrx problem, your problem may also have to do with your hardware configuration. If you have 4+GB of RAM, there are some combinations of 64-bit Linux, ATI video cards and mainboards where the MTRRs are not being properly configured.

This thread may help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6363604#post6363604

theluddite
December 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks for responding, but I doubt that solution will work for me. I'm running 2Gb of RAM and I updated to Intrepid so our situations are a bit different. I'm sure your response may help someone else though. Anyone else have any suggestions?