PDA

View Full Version : What do you call Debian packages?

bruce89
October 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
I notice that cruft-remover calls Debian Packages .deb packages.

I filed a bug about referring by file types by their extension, arguing that it is a Windows convention, not a UNIX one. Their argument is that "Debian package" sounds like they are only usable by Debian, not Ubuntu and other dpkg-using distros. My quasi-joke counter-argument is that surely Ubuntu should use "Ubuntu packages", with the extension .mark (named after Mark Shuttleworth).

billgoldberg
October 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I've always called it .deb packages.

I don't care how they are called, as long as they work.

DFlame
October 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
In my strange little mind, they're just referred to as "Debs". I think it'd be a little difficult to change something that has been set in stone like this. As a simple person, I just appreciate the fact that they work :)

DFlame

bruce89
October 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
In my strange little mind, they're just referred to as "Debs". I think it'd be a little difficult to change something that has been set in stone like this. As a simple person, I just appreciate the fact that they work :)

I knew I forgot one.

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
"dot deb" I say.

Saying they are .deb's isn't exclusive to Debian. Ubuntu uses Debian's package manager.

Icehuck
October 22nd, 2008, 07:26 PM

DFlame

I also only refer them as just "debs" or "deb".

kellemes
October 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Debian's deb's

lswest
October 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
I call them deb packages :P

notwen
October 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
My counter-argument is that surely Ubuntu should use "Ubuntu packages", with the extension .mark (named after Mark Shuttleworth).

That's something I've never seen before. Different folks, different strokes. =]

I personally refer to them as deb packages or dot debs when used in a convo.

SomeGuyDude
October 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM

DFlame

Same. I call it a "deb" and frankly I don't link it to Debian at all any more than I link RPM to Red Hat.

ammikulka
October 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
i just say deb... "is there a deb for it?" or "yo deb whats up"

bruce89
October 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
That's something I've never seen before. Different folks, different strokes. =]

I forgot to mention I was joking.

Don S
October 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
I'll join the lot that just say deb/debs. If I am to talk to a new person, I'd refer to it as .deb, but in general "deb" should cover it. It would very rarely be mistaken as a DOS debug file, so I see no problem in calling them ".deb", if you want to be more precise.

bruce89
October 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
I suspect people are voting for .deb instead of just deb. The dot however is significant as it the file extension separator.

My opinion is that referring to formats by their extension is the Windows way, as it uses extensions to disinguish file types. However, I seem to be in the minority.

estyles
October 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Linux can use file extensions too. They are not the only way to denote what type of info is contained in the file, but file extensions are as native to Linux as they are to Windows. I *say* "debs", if I write it, it is ".deb", or ".deb package".

kostkon
October 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
I call them: deb, .deb (not so often), debs, deb package, deb packages.

chris4585
October 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
I call them deb packages. or debs either way "deb" is the base. I don't really refer them to Debian.

earthpigg
October 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
i call them delightful debbie debian packages.