PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is Xorg?

pluekiller
October 22nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
My newly installed ubuntu is suffers from massive slowdowns just by using firefox!

It seems like Xorg is always at 100% when i suffer these slowdowns.

Am i doing anything wrong?

icanfly0307
October 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I seriously don't know what's going on but........

to answer your question: Xorg is basically the X window system used in linux. It's the base of the graphical environment for your computer. If X slows down when you're using Firefox, you could try to switch over to a more light weight desktop environment like Fluxbox. Install it by issuing the command:

sudo apt-get install fluxbox

Try to see if this helps.

icanfly0307
October 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM

to answer your question: Xorg is basically the X window system used in linux. It's the base of the graphical environment for your computer. If X slows down when you're using Firefox, you could try to switch over to a more light weight desktop environment like Fluxbox. Install it by issuing the command:

btw, what are your system specs?

Elfy
October 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
I would start with checking whether there is a graphics driver available - look in Hardware Drivers in the System Admin menu

Would be good to have system specs

pluekiller
October 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
If my system can't handle web browsing smoothly on ubuntu, i'm going back to windows right now :(

I have a core 2 duo running at 1.9Ghz, 9600M GT, and 2GB of ram..

Elfy
October 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
So did you look in hardware drivers? There will be a driver there for it I suspect

pluekiller
October 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Yes i did... It's already enabled..

billgoldberg
October 22nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
If my system can't handle web browsing smoothly on ubuntu, i'm going back to windows right now :(

lol

Sounds like a driver issue or a bug.

Do as forestpixie suggested.

Btw, people who are shouting "I'm going back to windows" usually don't get much help.

We are here out to help the community, most don't appreciate "threats".

icanfly0307
October 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
WHOA! hold it right there!

don't give up on ubuntu! and don't move back to windows; it's worse.

what's your graphics card model? with system specs like that, ubuntu would be SUPER FAST!

are you using the right device driver?

mali2297
October 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Check if the problem persists if you disable the desktop effects.

pluekiller
October 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
did it sound like a threat? I'm sorry. It was more of a... sigh of resignation.

okay i'll try it with desktop effects off..

pluekiller
October 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
I don't seem to get the problem with desktop effects turned off...

Graphics driver problem?

icanfly0307
October 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Are you really that desperate about Desktop Effects? I know they're nice and everything, but do you really need them? If you would prefer not to have them enabled, then you're problem is solved!

Elfy
October 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Ok, you say you've newly installed - is it hardy or have you gone for the intrepid beta. Also are all the updates applied to it

jerome1232
October 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I vote graphics driver problem, how did you install them initially? May want to try installing the latest via envy or from nvidia's website (envy being easier to do)

bull205
October 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
You could try to install envyng to manage your graphics drivers...I'm the new guy, so someone call me on it if this is wrong.

sudo apt-get install envyng

Its a nice GUI tool that will help you manage the correct NVIDA/ATI drivers.

More info at http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

pluekiller
October 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
It's a newly installed hardy..

Okay i'll try envy.

Its not a MUST that i have desktop effects.. But I would prefer it :)

Elfy
October 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I vote graphics driver problem, how did you install them initially? May want to try installing the latest via envy or from nvidia's website (envy being easier to do)

I'd go for that too - disable from the hardware drivers first reboot and then run envyng

pluekiller
October 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Seems to have worked. Thanks all =)

bull205
October 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Please mark the thread as solved....i think the administrator's dig that sort of thing.

:guitar:

billgoldberg
October 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
I don't seem to get the problem with desktop effects turned off...

Graphics driver problem?

Most likely.

What driver do you have installed?

Edit: these kinds of post happen when you don't mark your problem as solved.

wasd591
December 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Yah, with a computer like that it shouldn't be slow. If you have compiz or Desktop Effects running in the background, it shouldn't be that slow. Make sure you don't have too many terminal or even calculator windows open. Open Office slows the computer down big time. :( Here's what to do.

Open Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type in top.

Take a screenshot of the window (full screen may help :)) and post in this thread.

UnknownFear
December 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM
The OP has in fact solved his issue and just needs to mark it as [SOLVED] so more users can focus on other threads.

FormatSeize
December 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM

I wondered what Xorg was as well, but never really researched it. Under Slackware, there's X11 (or something like that, someone correct me), and the command
startx
will take me to a graphical environment. So is Xorg something that makes the environment that I see when I use Ubuntu?
Also, if I install Fluxbox to try it out, will it be pretty easy to uninstall, or will it be something I wouldn't want to do unless I planned on using it permanently?

tuahaa
December 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Wasn't this thread ditched last year?:confused:

NiGhtMarEs0nWax
March 7th, 2010, 02:09 AM
:popcorn:

kleskjr
May 20th, 2010, 11:02 PM
:guitar:

myrtlebeach2000
December 1st, 2010, 12:25 AM

I agree with you. I found this forum searching for reason my system was so stressed using Ubuntu. This is my 3rd new install (not upgrades) of various versions of Ubuntu over the past 3-5 years and this is the first version that took all my resources to operate.
When I read about Xorg, I went to System - Preferences - Remote Desktop Preferences and deselected "Allow other users to view your desktop".
My CPU is down to about 20-30% most times. Maybe 30-40% with Firefox running approximately 8 tabs.
I have a Toshiba with X2 dual core AMD Turon processor and 3 gb ram.
I have Vista, Windows 7, and Ubuntu 10.10.
I boot into Ubuntu, not Windows as I installed it on a new partition.
Also, the previous versions of Ubuntu did not take abnormal percenage of resources.

Since disabling Remote Desktop, I have not problem.
Why would this option be enabled by default? It seems to be something to be enabled by the user when they know what they are enabling.

Try changing your setting and not going back to Windows.

MyrtleBeach2000