PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xp doesnt recognize .iso file, error on install

klouud
October 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
hello

i downloaded the newest version of ubuntu as an iso file. i used nero 8 to burn image to disk. used specified cdr for burning process. used 24x speed. used winxp pro for download and burn. all seemed to go well.

--reason for ubuntu use is because my vista machine crashed beyond repair.

boot from cd on vista machine. select insall ubuntu... gives error on disk. burned another disk. get the same.

my xp machine sees .iso files as unidentified file extensions... i just did a reinstall, installed all updated drivers, FW, and programs. do i need my xp manchine to recognize .iso files? do i need to burn at a slower speed? will ubuntu install on a corrupt vista machine.

sorry for all the noob questions... i have never used anything other than windows in the past and am VERY new.

thanx for the help

tim

esmailgad
October 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Klouud
I had a similar problem. It seems that there is something worng with the iso file it self. I asked for the original CD from the ubuntu site. I live in Egypt and it took two weeks to arrive but it worked very well and I managed to install ubuntu without any problems

mikewhatever
October 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Slower speed would be a good idea, in fact, you should stay in the range of x4 to avoid burning errors. It is also advisable to check the downloaded iso for errors. For more info on both read here ->https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Standard%20installation
Now, about the corrupt Vista, I think, as long as the hardware is ok, Ubuntu should run and install. Running from the live cd makes little difference what's on the HDD, after all.

klouud
October 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
another question. once i get ubuntu working what do i do about drivers?

i have surfed the forums and some of the fixes for ubuntu are rather complicated and in depth. altho i am a rather experienced windows user and am able to follow directions with no problems... i do not want to have to go thru complicated non user friendly painstaiking procedures just to get stuff to work.

on the other hand... my vista machine has crashed beyond repair twice... let me just take this time to voice how much i hate windows vista.

anyways. the drivers issue. where and how.

thanx for the help guys

tim

Therion
October 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Slower speed would be a good idea, in fact, you should stay in the range of x4 to avoid burning errors.
Agreed. x4 seems to be the magic number for me as well.

another question. once i get ubuntu working what do i do about drivers?

i have surfed the forums and some of the fixes for ubuntu are rather complicated and in depth. altho i am a rather experienced windows user and am able to follow directions with no problems... i do not want to have to go thru complicated non user friendly painstaiking procedures just to get stuff to work.
Lets burn one bridge at a time. :) You may not even have any driver issues, so let's not create problems where none exist thus far. If you do run into issues attack them one at a time and most likely we'll be able to get you up and running.

mikewhatever
October 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Drivers for a lot of hardware are included on the installation cd, so that, with some luck, you wouldn't need to do anything. That said, not every hardware vendor chooses to support linux, Broadcom, Lexmark, Atheros are among the most notorious ones, although things have been improving lately.
You can check your hardware support by running from the live cd before the installattion.

oldos2er
October 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
"once i get ubuntu working what do i do about drivers?"

Can you tell us about your hardware? Then we can better answer your drivers question.