PDA

View Full Version : If "X" made an Operating System ...

razerbug
October 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
There is talk of Google releasing an OS, one that is online-centric. There is talk of Hewlet Packard making a new OS which would come installed on it's computers instead of Windows, in-fact they have a own made version of Linux lurking in their past.

So, if "insertbrandhere" made an OS what would it be like? what would it be based on or could it be something totally new?

Personally I'd like to see an Adobe Operating Suite - an Adobe OS where CS3 (now 4) are the core audio, graphical, and office packages.

Then there is Smirnof, because they don't make OS's but if they did it'd probably be the best OS... yadda yada ;)

ukripper
October 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
So, if "insertbrandhere" made an OS what would it be like? what would it be based on or could it be something totally new?

How about naming as "xxx" and could only run unkown projects such as interfacing human brain on dogs limbs.

ammikulka
October 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
im assuming their would be alot of Bloat if computer makers made their own os...and they'd probably track your performance like M$ and stuff like that

forrestcupp
October 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't want Google's OS because it would be full of adware, spyware, and kill switches so they could remotely remove your software if they wanted.

I wouldn't want an Adobe OS because they would charge $1000 for the entry level version.

Let's just stick with what we already have.

jimi_hendrix
October 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
google might be ok

im with forrest on adobe

klange
October 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't want Google's OS because it would be full of adware, spyware, and kill switches so they could remotely remove your software if they wanted.
Have you perused the Android code yet?

razerbug
October 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I don't think GooOS (as it's called) would be full of malware, this is the company who's moto is "don't be evil" LOL

I wouldn't want it either though because from what I've heard you wouldn't have an OS on your system, you would log into one running on remote servers.

Northsider
October 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Personally I'd like to see an Adobe Operating Suite - an Adobe OS...
Adobe?! Lord why? I don't think there is one program they make that I actually like. They all are ridiculously expensive; they all are slow as molasses even on permformance computers; they will probably be just as bad as MS in terms of tracking, bloat, bugs, exploits, etc...

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM

Er, they made one. It is open source. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Android#Open_source

billgoldberg
October 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Er, they made one. It is open source. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Android#Open_source

And based on linux, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm wondering when you'll start seeing Android on other devices.

I like it.

I might buy one those android phones when they become available here. It's about time I get a smart phone.

S0VERE1GN
October 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
What if Ford made an OS? :confused:

conundrumx
October 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
What if BioWare made an OS? I think I would die in front of my computer...

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
And based on linux, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm wondering when you'll start seeing Android on other devices.

I like it.

I might buy one those android phones when they become available here. It's about time I get a smart phone.

I saw an article about one that is out, but I don't remember specifics. And yes, it is based on Linux (saw that in the wikipedia article)

NintendoTogepi
October 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
GooOS would be nice.

HockeyPlayer
October 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
"Carlsberg don't do Operating Systems, but if they did, they would probably be the best in the world..."

...sorry couldn't resist.

tuskenraider
October 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
id buy an Equate O/S.
you know... Equate the "off" brand from wal-mart! LOL they make the same products... the same quality at almost 1/2 the price. Gotta love knock offs.

p.s speaking of knock offs anyone wanna buy a rolex? :lolflag:

tusken

SomeGuyDude
October 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I'd like to see, say, Dell merge with Canonical so not just Ubuntu is on their machines, but an in-house brand with perfect compatibility and alla that. Go the Apple route.

ukripper
October 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
I saw an article about one that is out, but I don't remember specifics. And yes, it is based on Linux (saw that in the wikipedia article)

http://source.android.com/release-features

andras artois
October 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Imagine if microsoft made an OS....

forrestcupp
October 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM

Yeah, and it has a kill switch that gives them the ability to remove software from your phone. That's just what I want.

And since Android is Google, I'm sure advertising is in the mix somewhere. They didn't open the source until they were done with their version of it.

simtaalo
October 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
They didn't open the source until they were done with their version of it.

why would they have to make the source code open before they had finished writing it?

forrestcupp
October 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
why would they have to make the source code open before they had finished writing it?

That was one of the reasons that the open source community was mad about Xgl when it first came about. The community thinks that if something is going to be open source, they want a chance to be able to influence what it is going to be like before it's already done. So they came up with aiglx as a more openly developed alternative to Xgl.

But my point was that Google already slipped in their kill switch before the community had a chance to check things out, so who knows what else is lurking?

Don S
October 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM

Finding and triaging bugs, testing, code/design contributions...

simtaalo
October 23rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
But my point was that Google already slipped in their kill switch before the community had a chance to check things out, so who knows what else is lurking?

but if the code is open now whats to stop you going through and finding any "dodgy" things there?

forrestcupp
October 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
but if the code is open now whats to stop you going through and finding any "dodgy" things there?

I'm not saying it's not possible. But how many thousands of lines of code do you think there are to go through? Are you going to take the time to study it all? The "kill switch" wasn't even found by looking through the code. It was found by someone studying the license agreement, which is considerably smaller than all the code that makes up Android.

It's much easier if a project is accountable to the community from the beginning and throughout the process than it is for the community to have to study and understand thousands of lines of code that are already complete.

But my whole reason for not wanting an OS by Google is that something "dodgy" has already been found in the offering they've given us. And that Google survives financially by advertising.

razerbug
October 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I'd like to see, say, Dell merge with Canonical so not just Ubuntu is on their machines, but an in-house brand with perfect compatibility and alla that. Go the Apple route.

Oh dear God no!

Dell make shocking PC's that always fall to bits on me (thankfully they have never been my own) and Apple sell inferior machines at grossly inflated prices, because they have a bigger monopoly than MS (and a great marketing department)

I trust (and I didn't think I'd say this) Apple more than I'd trust Dell. I think making an OS that is hardware dependent is never a good way to go, especially if the hardware your using is actually normal PC hardware you're charging twice as much for.

As for Android: I haven't had a chance to use that yet but I wasn't counting it as it's basically Linux for mobiles rather than a brand new PC OS which is where I was going. I Think they dropped the ball on the phone they put it in though... compared to most windows mobile handsets, and iPhone, it's seriously fugly! very disappointing as a google fan and a T-Mobile customer.

1cewolf
October 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM

It's an interesting idea in concept, but I'm not so sure I like it in practice. Dell isn't exactly a stellar company to work with and I think the last thing the world needs is another Apple.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Canonical-branded computers some day as long as they don't lock Ubuntu to Canonical computers only ala Apple. Imagine being able to go to the Canonical online store and pick up a brand-new Canonical laptop! :)

toupeiro
October 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I'll take linux and be happy. In the end, Google is still primarily a marketing and advertising company on the books. They make some great products, don't get me wrong, but I want some concept of privacy with my OS.