PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Cannot delete imported files and folders

Udibuntu
October 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Hi,

I just imported (via DVD) to my new Hardy some folders containing files I used in Feisty - documents, images and so on.

I cannot erase those files now, and cannot alter the permissions even though the user is the same...

Please help...

Udi

wardrich
October 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
You can't even # chmod 777 them?

taseedorf
October 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
hm....
try
sudo rm filename
to delete
or
sudo chmod +r

?

Udibuntu
October 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys, but I'd hate starting rm'ing stuff that is too close to home...I'm not secure enough on paths etc.

Isn't there a GUI based method?

stephanvaningen
October 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Suppose the root folder you copied on the system is /home/myname/imported, I'ld suggest the following:

Change the ownership:

sudo chown -R myname:users /home/myname/imported
Ignore errors of access denied to .gvfs, that's a known bug not resolved yet in 8.04/8.10

Then change default access to these folders:

sudo chmod -R 755 /home/myname/imported
Or similar:

sudo chmod -R u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx /home/myname/imported

Where 755 means user:7 (read,write,execute), group:5 (read,,execute), others:5 (read,,execute). If you require other access, change it to your needs (info: man chmod).

OldGrey
October 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
If you want a gui method you can try opening a terminal - Alt F2 - and running gksudo nautilus. That will run Nautilus with root permissions, but be very careful what you delete.

stephanvaningen
October 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys, but I'd hate starting rm'ing stuff that is too close to home...I'm not secure enough on paths etc.

Isn't there a GUI based method?

Yes, there's a GUI-based method too, but beware that you will be starting a file manager with root rights which can cause you big problems if clicking on a wrong spot somewhere:

Right-click the menu-bar in the top-left area of the Gnome screen (Applications,Places,System-part)
Choose option 'Edit Menus'
In the Menus panel, select Accessories
In the right-part of the window click the button 'New Item': a new window with the name 'Launcher properties' appears, enter these fields:
Type:Leave it on the default value 'Application'
Name:Name it i.e.: "Root file manager" (without the quotes "")
Command: type "gksu nautilus" (without the quotes "")
Comment:type "Root file manager (CAUTION)" (without the quotes "")
Press close

If you now go to Applications -> Accessories, you see a new option Root File Manager. When starting it, after a second or two, Ubuntu will ask you to give your password, because 'nautilus' will be started with root privileges.

I repeat: handle with care!, but you can do anything you want on files with this window now...

stephanvaningen
October 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Sorry, you were a bit quicker than me - duplicate post therefore ;-)

If you want a gui method you can try opening a terminal - Alt F2 - and running gksudo nautilus. That will run Nautilus with root permissions, but be very careful what you delete.

Udibuntu
October 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Thank you all.

GUI is important for me in this case since what I want to delete are folders that are named home and udi (I copied them before installing hardy).

I'll see if I can use the terminal method and delete the files from trash, it looks safes than to start pathing in my home partition.

will update, and thanks again all.

Udibuntu
October 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM

Moved folder I want to delete to trash, but got this when tried to look into trash as root -

Operation not supported by backend

OK, I'll try rm. what is the correct command if file name is home and it is in the trash? Also, how can I make sure I don't get the above error from files that are in this folder?

Udibuntu
October 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Solved.

Used this command:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/*

I added sudo to get it done (bypass permission denied messages).

Found it here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=898573

Thank you all for helping me.

Udi