PDA

View Full Version : Restore from Trash - A sneaky feature of GNOME 2.24

v8YKxgHe
October 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Hey,

I've always seen people voicing their opinions for wanting a 'restore from trash' feature in GNOME/Nautilus for a very, very long time. Well, why has this feature which has made its way into GNOME 2.24, not being talked about? It's not even in the GNOME release notes :confused:

You would have thought everyone would be spreading the news of such a simple, long awaited feature (Unless I have missed something and people have noticed it =3, then forget all this)

Just thought I'd let you know.

Delever
October 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Shhh, don't tell anyone it wasn't there... The shame, The shame!

FuturePilot
October 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
Well I am very happy about this. It's been a feature that every other file manager/DE and OS has had for a long time. It's about time Gnome added this. I've waited a loooong time for this. :guitar:

bailout
October 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
Gnome didn't have this feature before??? (incredulous kde user) What was the point of trash over a permanent delete then if you couldn't get something back from trash?

Paqman
October 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
It's not even in the GNOME release notes :confused:

Are you sure? I was reading them the other day and remember thinking "woo!" when I read that. Sod tabbed Nautilus, this is a useful feature.

mrgnash
October 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
I've never missed it? :confused: If I accidentally delete something, then I just go into trash and rip it back out again.

v8YKxgHe
October 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Gnome didn't have this feature before??? (incredulous kde user) What was the point of trash over a permanent delete then if you couldn't get something back from trash?

Yes, you could get stuff back out from it. Before though it didn't remember where the file actually came from, so you couldn't 'restore' the file automatically back, you had to manually work out where it came from and put it back.

Are you sure? I was reading them the other day and remember thinking "woo!" when I read that. Sod tabbed Nautilus, this is a useful feature.

From this: http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.24/ I can't see anything mentioning it.

AaronMT
October 23rd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Sheesh, hidden enough. I cant just right click inside the recycle bin area. I have to restore all, I gotta select everything?

v8YKxgHe
October 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Sheesh, hidden enough. I cant just right click inside the recycle bin area. I have to restore all, I gotta select everything?

You have to select which ones you want to restore, by the looks of it.

steeleyuk
October 23rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
No wonder it wasn't in the release notes. Its embarassing to have say that we now have a feature that allows you to restore from trash.

5circles
October 24th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I just messed up by accidentally having too many folders selected and moving to trash. I'm having to restore - and the current prediction shows 151 hours. So this is a vital change. I can't believe it didn't exist already - I just never messad up badly enough to notice.

Is the best way to get this as part of the 8.10 update?