PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot Upgrade?

CGS_Saltire
October 22nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Guys,

Just wish to ask a question in relation to upgrading. I know this is a Ubuntu forum, but while my main focus is on Ubuntu i also have an ancient copy of Windows on a separate Hard Drive. Not having attempted to do this before with the grub in place I am wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded windows (any version) without upsetting the grub and how?

On my computer, since Windows was installed long before i decided to use Ubuntu, "C:/ drive" is my default. In the future I am planning to split both with Ubuntu on a separate computer to Windows but for the present till i can afford it, i am stuck with the status quo! At the moment my copy of Ubuntu is on a separate slave disc from the Windows copy which has partition problems that gParted can't solve.

This means that the data on the Windows disc is corrupted in part, and I was planning to reinstall but don't know if doing this will cause havoc with the grub. If i repartition and format my Windows disc i am assuming that this will kill the grub and destroy the data it needs to direct me either way on boot up. This I am reluctant to do in case i can no longer get to Ubuntu which has all of the Windows files i recently transferred since Ubuntu is my primary slave disc.

The fact is that while i have shifted all of my main files and attention to Ubuntu... I still need Windows for those Programs I can't transfer. While "Wine" does a marvellous job with some programs (I have the latest version) it doesn't run some Windows programs at all and is just fair with others! I tried to overcome this by trying "Cross Over" but while such programs as Quick Time do work on "Cross Over" others don't and freeze on instillation. So in order to run them I need the added assistance of Windows, even if it is a back up for only those programs. I like Ubuntu and thought with one of these programs installed I could kiss Windows good bye but not so.

With the grub installed I am dreading the thought of stuffing it up as i have only recently upgraded my copy of Ubuntu to a larger disc so it could be my main focus. Not knowing what is in store for me when i try is making me nervous about the possibilities. So not having upgraded with the grub in place I thought i would ask you guys...

I know this is a Ubuntu forum but this is the only way i can be prepared for what lies ahead. I have put this off a number of times because of this very reason. Hoping some one can assist and answer my question.

Steve:confused:

CGS_Saltire
October 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Hi Guys!

I am assuming no one else has either had this problem or know how to do this from the number of responses I got...

I did a search on the internet and came up with this page... I don't know yet if it will work but I have added the url here just in case this works...

If anyone sees a flaw in it please let me and others know as this is out there for anyone to find and use. Hopefully it works and is a help to anyone else that is contemplating this upgrade!

The url is...
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_ installed.htm?page=1

Steve...