View Full Version : [all variants] I can't right click....

October 22nd, 2008, 05:32 AM

I feel like I'm on a Mac. I cannot seem to right click. Everything seems to work besides that. Theres nothing lagging and nothing seems slower than normal. Help please.

*To further clarify things: I can right click. It just fails to bring up the menu that typically starts when you right click. But if I put my mouse in a window. It allows me to right click. I believe I may have screwed something up with Compiz. I also just installed VMWare. That may have screwed something up. Also, if I boot into Enlightenment I can right click. It seems to be a Gnome only issue.

October 22nd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Through process of elimnation I thought it might be nautilus. here is what I got when I tried to open it in the terminal.

king@Anubis:~$ nautilus &
[1] 7141
king@Anubis:~$ Initializing nautilus-share extension
seahorse nautilus module initialized

** (nautilus:7141): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported
Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

seahorse nautilus module shutdown

October 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
Had the same problem a few weeks ago and after a few reboots I had it back again...
No worries.

October 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
try ctrl alt backspace...

also, make sure compiz isnt ******* something up.

October 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
That's right! I remember now. It happened after I had enabled the wallpaper plugin.

October 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I've tried control alt backspace a few times not to mention a bunch of restarts...

What wallpaper plugin?

That's right! I remember now. It happened after I had enabled the wallpaper plugin.

October 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
The wallpaper plugin in compiz.

October 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
I must be missing something. I haven't installed a wallpaper plugin. Or is it a very obvious setting that I am somehow missing? I've looked under all the desktop cube options and cannot seem to find it...

Thanks for helping someone who is being incompedent today.

October 31st, 2008, 04:53 PM
I've tried the wallpaper plugin, and everything else I could think of. My ability to right click seems to just go away. I had it back but I just started my computer and now it is gone...

Any help?

October 31st, 2008, 10:59 PM

I just upgraded to Intrepid. Thought that would fix it. Still has not. Any help?
Could it be Compiz? I could have messed something up there. If I remove it will it restore everything to default settings?

October 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Do you have any icons on your desktop? If not, I think you setup nautilus so it does NOT manage the desktop.

I forgot what option in gnome-conf or whatever it's called. If someone knows what I'm talking about, please post :)

October 31st, 2008, 11:41 PM
THANK YOU! For some odd reason, if anyone knows let me know, when I got rid of icons, it kills my right click. I tried Ubuntu Tweak for the first time and that is what messed it up. Is there a way to get rid of icons without using Ubuntu Tweak and without killing my right click?

November 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hey toasty, you're welcome.

I THINK that if you use PCManFM (PC Man File Manager), you can tell it to show the wallpaper but not show icons. I THINK.

Did you know that if you hit ALT+Mouse click on any window, it will bring up the window menu? I looked for a similar shortcut to bring up the Desktop menu. Couldn't find it. Wouldn't that be cool?...