PDA

View Full Version : I depend on Linux so much...

chris4585
October 22nd, 2008, 03:35 AM
I'd like to say how much I depend on Linux for all my computing needs. November 2007 I started using gutsy gibbon (which I still love), I practically forced myself to learn how to use it, at first I didn't agree with it, and the whole desktop was a little awkward. Now a little over a year I would never dream of using anything else.

So why wouldn't / couldn't I change? There are a few things, but I'd like to point out one of the less obvious and less talked about things, The programs I use on Linux that I know and love are not offered on Windows or Mac!! What programs are these?

Terminal - Terminal you complete me!

Quod Libet - My favorite music organizer, I can't live without this...

Audacious - I use this music player to play single files usually.

Compiz - This is probably the most obvious.

Gnome System Monitor - One of my favorite monitors.

Synaptic - Another great thing about Linux thats pretty unique.

Beagle - The most awesomest search tool ever! (Although I do have to say... the search feature in Vista's explorer was quite awesome too.)

Gedit - My favorite tabbed editor.

Mupen64plus - A pretty good Nintend 64 emulator.

Gwenview 3.5? - How this program functions (fit to width, hight) and scrolling on the image to go to the next.

Ksnapshot 3.5 - I could probably live without this but I still prefer this tool over the gnome screen shot utility.

Bitlbee - a IRCD daemon that allows me to connect to my MSN within any chat client I use (XChat). This works flawlessly well.

Brasero - Simple to the point and does what I want, I mainly use it just for burning ISO images to CDs.

Sound Juicer - Rips my music flawlessly.

Serpentine - Burns my music flawlessly.

Totem - I'm one of the few who actually love totem and dislike VLC.

Htop - Another awesome system monitor.

Conky - While I'm on system monitors... this one is the leetest out there.

Openbox - My favorite lightweight windows manager.

I can continue but this might get a little ridiculous, but the point is obvious that Linux hosts tons of programs that are only Linux specific. If I mentioned one that is not only just for Linux thats because I don't use Windows or Mac.

I would have a hard time finding replacements for all of these programs, even so if I reinstalled I'd have to go hunt them all down on the internet and install them one at a time.. with Linux I just run a script I made and it downloads/installs and changes some settings all at once without me having to wrack my brain around "What did I miss?" or "hrmmm what am I forgetting...".

Another thing about Linux I'd love to point out I can barely do on Windows or Mac. The ability to change my whole system from kernel up.. edit anything I want within my ability. There are the more obvious reasons, Linux is free, and has no viruses.

My name is Chris and I'm a Linux user.

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 03:42 AM
Ah, how ironic. The problem used to be the lack of Windows programs on Linux. ;P

Btw, you do realize the emulation is illegal, unless you own a N64 and an actual copy of the game, right?

chris4585
October 22nd, 2008, 03:43 AM
who said I had any downloaded games? nothing illegal there

wolfen69
October 22nd, 2008, 03:54 AM

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 03:58 AM
who said I had any downloaded games? nothing illegal there

Would be rather hard to call it a decent emulator without trying it.

zmjjmz
October 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
The whole problem with copyright violation on abandonware is that using abandonware does not hurt anyone's profits at all, which is clearly the reason why the copyright law exists.

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
The whole problem with copyright violation on abandonware is that using abandonware does not hurt anyone's profits at all, which is clearly the reason why the copyright law exists.

Yes, I know that the copyright laws are truly messed up, but meh... it's still the law. :(

Atleast the DOS patent expired along with the UNIX patent. The N64 is quite old, that patent shouldn't be around in the next 3 years or so.

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2008, 04:10 AM
Lets not promote illegal activity

I say pointing to the COC ;-)

chris4585
October 22nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
I don't see the issue.. with my post, I didn't exactly want a thread that revolved around one program. So what are some programs you guys depend on Linux, and can't get on Windows or Mac?

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 04:27 AM
Pretty much any program that uses an SVN. That and I can't get APT, Konsole, or Ark on Windows :/

Those command lines have really grown on me. On top of that, neither Kwin or Fluxbox will run on Windows. It would be nice if someone modded either to do so.

cardinals_fan
October 22nd, 2008, 04:29 AM
Those command lines have really grown on me. On top of that, neither Kwin or Fluxbox will run on Windows. It would be nice if someone modded either to do so.
bblean is quite like Fluxbox...

chris4585
October 22nd, 2008, 04:31 AM
pretty interesting how Windows is slowly becoming a OS that people don't have to depend on so much.

bblean is quite like Fluxbox...

for windows?

Grant A.
October 22nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
pretty interesting how Windows is slowly becoming a OS that people don't have to depend on so much.

"Necessity is the mother of invention." -Thomas Edison

spawn.
October 22nd, 2008, 04:39 AM

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's what I said...:confused:

cardinals_fan
October 22nd, 2008, 04:40 AM
for windows?
Yes. There are a number of alternative desktop shells for Windows, most of the based on Blackbox. Bblean is a favorite of mine (I have it on my Windows XP virtual machine).

chris4585
October 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Yes. There are a number of alternative desktop shells for Windows, most of the based on Blackbox. Bblean is a favorite of mine (I have it on my Windows XP virtual machine).

thats pretty neat I didn't know that.

cardinals_fan
October 22nd, 2008, 04:48 AM
thats pretty neat I didn't know that.
I don't like any of them as much as dwm, Xfce, or Openbox; but many are still pretty good.

chris4585
October 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Lol, Now I'm trying to imagine using openbox in windows...

zmjjmz
October 22nd, 2008, 06:28 AM
bblean is awesome.
Thanks for that cardinals_fan.