PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cold Turkey

rpvak1200
October 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
I have read a lot that linux has a pretty steep learning curve. I am a huge gamer and run quad sli. However I am so tired ( as most have come here might say ) of windows. I have no want to dual boot. I just want to go cold turkey. I currently understand that wine does not support DX10 and so that kills my CRYSIS, but no biggie. Found drivers for linux and my cards but my real question is should I buy and READ all of a book on linux or just dive in?

/sigh

halitech
October 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
Personally, unless you are really into causing yourself a lot of pain, don't go cold turkey. I did it myself 3 years ago and I caused myself a lot of headaches and cursing and swearing which didn't really do much good.

What I would suggest is first, download the live cd, burn it (slowest speed possible) then reboot and run ubuntu from that for awhile, maybe 2 or 3 days, see what works what doesn't, come here to find out if they should work and then plan your install.

As far as a book, if you can find one on whatever version you are installing, it might be handy to have in case you get stuck and cant get online and need some ideas but as far as reading the whole thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

bodhi.zazen
October 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Just dive in. Most people learn by doing, and after a few days / weeks you will have a better idea of what kind of book you may wish to buy.

Truth is, there is an abundance of information on the internet and in this community so a book may not be needed (depends on how you learn best).

https://help.ubuntu.com/

teaker1s
October 22nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Cold turkey has it's pro's and con's I did in 2005 and have total of six computers a duel boot lounge computer and duel boot laptop.
Apart from mobile phone updates and gps updates-xp/vista are history.

I'd recommend duel boot as a good option for the odd windows requirement and also say welcome to ubuntu more software and friendly help than you can shake a stick at.

shifty_powers
October 22nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
I have read a lot that linux has a pretty steep learning curve. I am a huge gamer and run quad sli. However I am so tired ( as most have come here might say ) of windows. I have no want to dual boot. I just want to go cold turkey. I currently understand that wine does not support DX10 and so that kills my CRYSIS, but no biggie. Found drivers for linux and my cards but my real question is should I buy and READ all of a book on linux or just dive in?

/sigh

you run quad sli and are a huge gamer?

much as i love linux, are you sure you want to do this? although wine is improving gaming support a fair bit on linux, it will never be the same as windows.

tbh, you sound like an ideal candidate for dual booting to me...

OutOfReach
October 22nd, 2008, 12:53 AM
I think you should just dive in.
I always learn better when actually doing than reading.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 22nd, 2008, 01:05 AM
Dual booting provides you with many of the benefits of a Linux Distro only system.

There may be some applications that you need to use that only work with MS Windows. These applications are typically games, Tax software, Business accounting, and some say audio/video editing.

With a dual boot system, you isolate MS Windows viruses, spyware, adware, instability, etc. to the MS Windows environment when you are booted into MS Windows. The rest of the time, when booted into a Linux Distro environment, you have the inherent security and stability of Linux.

klemperal
October 22nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
There is no real harm in keeping Windows on your machine, so why not? Also, there is no guarantee Linux will be compatible with your hardware, or that wine will run all the games you play regularly. Like I said, there is no harm in keeping windows on your computer and until you know if Linux will meet all your needs you should keep windows as backup.

blazercist
October 22nd, 2008, 01:23 AM
Quad SLI ? CRYSIS? DX10? Huge Gamer? It sounds like you need to slow your roll big time. Check out www.winehq.org SPECIFICALLY the AppDB, its wine's database of games and their compatibility levels. If the games you play are listed there as either Platinum or Gold then you are good to go, expect only a few hiccups. If the games you play are listed ANYTHING below Gold, you should dual boot. Please children spell it correctly its "dual" not "duel" (duel is a ye olde sword fight or ye olde musket fight!). I highly doubt Quad SLI will even be supported by the NVIDIA Proprietary drivers under Linux. Please consider a dual boot and definately try the Live CD before you format into oblivion and blame Ubuntu and Linux for being "7h3 $uck" in gamer speak.

And to those of you answering him with " !!! OMG DELETE WINDOWS IMMEDIATLY AND INSTALL UBUNTU!!!" please restrain yourselves and try to actually read the entire OP before turning zealot mode on.

Edit: Oh and this is coming from someone who was a gamer years ago, when did CS:S and HL2 come out? when did WoW come out? And they are still not nearly as smooth and problem free under wine as they are on windows despite the HUGE leaps wine has made in the past year.

fluxlizard
October 22nd, 2008, 01:26 AM
If you are a big gamer, set up a dual boot.

I did and over a period of a couple of years I booted into windows for gaming less and less. Now, several years into it, I've found that as I've gotten older I don't want all the gaming anyway- urban terror, wesnoth and a few others are more than enough to satisfy me so I only boot into windows to watch netflix.

OutOfReach
October 22nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
If you are a big gamer I recommend a dual-boot.
Forgot to mention that.

Blvaur
October 22nd, 2008, 01:44 AM
duel is a ye olde sword fight or ye olde musket fight!

Does that make any sense at all?

I can see the second half working as it is something like : ...or the old gunfight..

In middle ages the letter (thorn) got replaced by th in most words. But munks still tried to use but wrote it like reversed y, trying to look cool when they wrote the old letter.
So: → y
→ th

so: ye olde... → the old...

And to the original poster:

Make new rules on how you use windows. I only have 2 rules with my windows partition. No installing of any programs unrelated to cod4, no browsing what-so-ever, the windows partition must be used only in relation to cod4 and the (newly sundered) clan.
It will force you to learn to use linux, and you will find your self stop going to websites and downloading that way programs and drivers, and using synaptic and automatic installations of all your programs.

blazercist
October 22nd, 2008, 02:07 AM
Does that make any sense at all?

I can see the second half working as it is something like : ...or the old gunfight..

In middle ages the letter (thorn) got replaced by th in most words. But munks still tried to use but wrote it like reversed y, trying to look cool when they wrote the old letter.
So: → y
→ th

so: ye olde... → the old...

And to the original poster:

Make new rules on how you use windows. I only have 2 rules with my windows partition. No installing of any programs unrelated to cod4, no browsing what-so-ever, the windows partition must be used only in relation to cod4 and the (newly sundered) clan.
It will force you to learn to use linux, and you will find your self stop going to websites and downloading that way programs and drivers, and using synaptic and automatic installations of all your programs.

Thank you for the correction but "duel" is still incorrect in the booting of operating systems context. And the point of my comment and my advice is still valid in both in respect to the OP and the usage of "duel".

Nxion
October 22nd, 2008, 02:49 AM
In your situation, I would work your way up. Dual boot and slowly start to migrate and use Ubuntu more when you are comfortable. Since you have a Quad SLI setup I would definitely hold on from going cold turkey. I did some reading and it looks like that Quad SLI is supported in the driver FROM Nvidia. I belive that this info is for the Quadro, but I might be mistakes, I belive it covers the other cards aswell.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-9629.html (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-9629.html)

wolfen69
October 22nd, 2008, 03:30 AM
i started off with a dual boot, but never used my windows partition again. then again, i wasn't a big gamer. my psp takes care of what little gaming i do.