PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu without Evolution

undoIT
October 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Looking forward to 8.10 and I will probably be doing a clean install. I have been using Thunderbird for years and I looked into Evolution quite a bit. Thunderbird is just a much better email client in my opinion.

When I checked in Synaptic to maybe uninstall Evolution, it looks like there are a bunch of packages and dependencies related to Evolution. I didn't want to break something by uninstalling all that stuff.

Since I don't use it, I don't need it taking up disk space and there are at least two processes that run in the background eating up memory. Is there any simple way to not have Evolution installed at all? It would be nice if there were a choice of email clients during installation, or at least the option to not install Evolution.

cariboo
October 22nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
Evolution is a core part of Gnome, you can remove with out hurting anything, but every time there is an update it will get reinstalled again. It doesn't take up that much space and you can disable any processes that you don't need in System-->Preferences-->Sessions.

Jim

undoIT
October 22nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Evolution is a core part of Gnome

Oy! And Internet Explorer is a core part of Windows.<<< A completely exaggerated comparison ;)

I may give Kubuntu another go this time around. The screenshots look great. However, I'm not so sure about KOffice vs. OpenOffice. Is there a list of bundled apps for Kubuntu?

undoIT
October 22nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Well, KDE 4 sure looks nice, but it is not so gud for gramer:

"KDE 4.0 brings you the latest technology in desktop computing, a wealth of application and all that at your options."

http://discover.kde.org/