View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] I killed a hard drive

October 21st, 2008, 11:46 PM
with my stupidity. I have an old computer in the basement i thought i'd make use of. So i put in a good hd and booted up to see what was on it. Big mistake, i should have put the Ubuntu install cd in first. Now I can't install Ubuntu because i get this message as i boot:

"Busy Box V1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.3 Ubuntu12)
Built in shell (ash)
enter help for list of built-in commands. (initramfs) [56.096411] ata 1.00: exception Emask 0x0 Sact 0x0 Serr 0x0 action ox2 Frozen.
[56.096466] ata 1.00 cmd c8/00: 08:00:00/00:00:00:00/EO tag O dma 4096."

I have no idea what to do next. Is this hd ruined?

October 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Provided you plugged it in correctly probably no harm done to the drive.

The busy box prompt just meant there is a problem. Could be a bad burn of the CD or not enough memory to load the CD. or some type of hardware that requires the use of boot codes. BootOptions - Ubuntu Documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions)

What kind of PC? What kind of hard drive (ide or sata)? How much memory? Might try a lightweight distro such as DSL or Puppy.

October 22nd, 2008, 01:36 AM
thanks for the reply. The pc is a 3.2 gb 512mb ram 160gb hd. the hd is ide. I don't know the other terms you're using (distro, dsl, puppy) beyond my know how. I need real beginner advice. thanks
I tried all the boot options (f6) but i get the same reponse, something wrong with the hd or it's buffer, frozen, etc.

October 22nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
Sure sounds like you have a bad CD. The CD should boot even if there was no hard drive at all. Run the check media for defects option.
I burn mine at 2x no faster that 4x. BurningIsoHowto - Community Ubuntu Documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto)

That PC has plenty of memory and power to run the Ubuntu live CD.

"distro" is short for Linux distribution. Puppy and DSL are distributions that need less memory than Ubuntu. DistroWatch.com: Use Linux, BSD. (http://distrowatch.com/)

Another check you can make is run memtest form the live CD. Just start it up and let it run. Come back later and see if finds anything.

If you think the hard drive is bad - go to the manufactures website and download their hard drive diagnostic utility.

October 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM
With those specs that computer should have some life left in it. I'd check www.crucial.com and find out how much memory it will hold and max it out if the benefits of doing so outweigh the money involved.

I agree with the others about checking out the cd and, maybe, burn a new one. One other thing you might check is that there may be a reason that computer was placed in the basement.

Good luck.

October 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
cd is fine. I put in the backup hd from my main computer and it formatted and loaded Ubuntu with no trouble. This is a hd problem that happened after i put in the drive and started the old computer. After that i was unable to install Ubuntu.

October 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
If you think its that hard disk then maybe you can put the hard disk to you PC that you use if it does not work then trash the hard disk. But you never know it could be a lot of things....

October 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
I don't know how to thank you all enough. It was the hd. One pin not making good contact. I discovered it when i used Seagates tools. thanks again and i'll mark this solved.