PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Installing 8.04.1 without bluetooth

Ole Juul
October 21st, 2008, 11:06 PM
How do I install Kubuntu 8.04 without bluetooth? Is there a way, or do I have to buy a bluetooth device in order to install this version? I ask because there seem to be many others with the same problem and no solution that I could find :). If it is not possible to do it, I would like to know.

cariboo
October 22nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
What problems are you having with Bluetooth. The bluetooth files installed are part of the default installation, If you don't have any bluetooth devices the service isn't enabled.

Jim

Ole Juul
October 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
Thankyou Jim for responding. This computer has no bluetooth devices but has a parallel port printer, non-wireless USB devices, and ethernet. It has an AMD Semperon 3300+ with Award BIOS and 2GB RAM.

This desktop has been running MS-XP-SP3 (which I know nothing about:( ) and I just added a 500GB harddrive so the person could use Linux and still access their old files on the original drive and thus make an easy transition.

When I try to install Kubuntu 8.04.1 it just hangs at a point where it is searching for Bluetooth devices. Perhaps there is a version of Kubuntu without the (apparently broken) Bluetooth enabled?

louieb
October 22nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
More likely its a bad CD burn. It just takes a few twisted bits in the wrong place to give some weird results.
Run the check media for defects option.
Burn the iso at slow speed - I usually burn an iso at 2x and no faster that 4x.

Ole Juul
October 22nd, 2008, 03:00 AM
Thanks. I'll burn another ISO at slow speed and report back.

Ole Juul
October 22nd, 2008, 03:45 AM
I just burnt another CD at 2X, ran "checkCD" upon booting in the host (XP) computer, and clicked install. Same thing. It hangs on starting Bluetooth. At that point I hit Ctrl-C, just in case it would help it move on, but it's just stuck there.

Any other suggestions? Perhaps install an earlier version and upgrade.... I'm stumped.:confused:

UPDATE:
1. After unplugging ALL USB periferals and using a PS2 keyboard, I got the same result.
2. I then tried to load 6.06.1 instead, hoping to upgrade from there. That too was unsuccesful but gave a few more hints. It failed on "Loading hardware drivers ..." and instead of hanging on "Starting Bluetooth services ..." it hung right after that on "hcid sdpd". I don't know what that means and since it was hung, I gave it the three finger salute. Upon stopping services, it hung on "Stopping Bluetooth services ...".
3. I have a feeling that this is not a Bluetooth problem as such. Perhaps this AMD processor, or mother board, or BIOS, is just not compatible with Linux and is doomed to run XP - though it does seem unusual to have to buy a new MB just to install Linux.
4. Thanks to those that responded. :) I will rephrase the question in a more meaningful manner and repost soon.

Henk Koekoek
December 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
When I try to install Kubuntu 8.04.1 it just hangs at a point where it is searching for Bluetooth devices. Perhaps there is a version of Kubuntu without the (apparently broken) Bluetooth enabled?

I have the exact same problem, with Ubuntu 8.10.

I'm trying to run Ubuntu without installing, on a computer with Windows XP installed, but it hangs on the same point as Ole Juul.

I've burned two cd's, both failed. I also have the same error when cancelling as Ole Juul in his update (pt. 2): "Upon stopping services, it hung on "Stopping Bluetooth services ...""

Blizzo
December 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I have the exact same problem, with Ubuntu 8.10.

I'm trying to run Ubuntu without installing, on a computer with Windows XP installed, but it hangs on the same point as Ole Juul.

I've burned two cd's, both failed. I also have the same error when cancelling as Ole Juul in his update (pt. 2): "Upon stopping services, it hung on "Stopping Bluetooth services ...""

Same problem here, I installed Ubuntu 8.10 inside Vista, it stops at ''Starting Bluetooth'' nothing I can do except hit the power button it seems...then it freezes at ''Stoping Bluetooth''

Tried 2 cd's for 8.10 and tried 8.04 as well....

Confused Linux n00b here...

Henk Koekoek
December 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Same problem here, I installed Ubuntu 8.10 inside Vista, it stops at ''Starting Bluetooth'' nothing I can do except hit the power button it seems...then it freezes at ''Stoping Bluetooth''

Tried 2 cd's for 8.10 and tried 8.04 as well....

Confused Linux n00b here...

I got it to work by disconnecting all usb-devices, letting Ubuntu load, and reconnect them.